Am I getting hosed? >

Am I getting hosed?

Notices

Am I getting hosed?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I really don't see where you have any recourse. However, I agree with Jeff in that 4K for labor to R and R one engine is crazy. I get 5 hours each way at 65/hr. That is only $650. Throw in an hour to R and R the drive and a few to fix the problem and I would get about 1K in labor. And I would still have people bit@h at that price. I think you may want to look elsewhere for a mechanic.
Eddie
I agree completely...
jr.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by GrandLake353
Where would you recommend that I purchase a book like this? I am very open to learning as much as I can, and hope to be able to start doing more of my service. I am also planning on replacing the shaft on the other extension box next spring, and I am needing to know where stelling products can be purchased? I have looked for a website, but have not come up with anything.
here's stelling's website...it sucks tho.ask them for a maintenance Manuel http://www.stellingsmarineproducts.c...roducts_id=155

search ebay for a manuel,you may have got a maintenance Manuel on your hp 500's and bravo one stern drives.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mer...+manuel&_rdc=1
Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless they had to do some repairs that are out of the norm then I can not see how they could EVER come up with numbers like that. Makes me appreciate my mechanic all the more. I try and do things myself but when I feel that I am over my head I trust him.

We had a similiar issue with one of my customers that had a 39 Cig with 800's and #6 drives. The marina that he kept the boat at insisted on doing all the work. They had no clue what they were doing. They could not even fix a high idle issue and finally relented to let me take a look and all it was was a loose throttle cable! There are very few good mechanics who will not rip you off so when you find one buy them lots of beer!! If I was you I would be taking my boat to some one else.

You can get all the manuals from Mercury and Formula

Last edited by Audiofn; 10-02-2009 at 06:43 AM.