Battery isolator >

Battery isolator

Notices

Battery isolator

Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery isolator

I have a twin engine boat w/ 4 batteries. The boat came with a battery isolator, which at this time does not work. The question that I have is do I need to replace it, and what exactly does the isolator do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by Noodles33
I have a twin engine boat w/ 4 batteries. The boat came with a battery isolator, which at this time does not work. The question that I have is do I need to replace it, and what exactly does the isolator do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All it does is it keeps a weak battery from draining the power from a fully charged battery.in other words the isolator keep the batteries from drawing power from each other
Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does a little more than that. It does allow you to charge both batteries at the same time with the alternator running but prevents the two from discharging each other when the engine is stopped. This relieves you from having to constantly change the batery switch to charge both batteries. You can not leave two batteries connected together without one even if they are both fully charged.

The disadvantage to an isolator is they exhibit a voltage drop which results in slower charging. An active charge relay is a better option these days.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk

The disadvantage to an isolator is they exhibit a voltage drop which results in slower charging. An active charge relay is a better option these days.

I agree, a relay is the better setup and they aren't costly either. A 2 bank Blue Sea relay runs right at $70.

http://02e5fd1.netsolstores.com/blue...a1224vacr.aspx