Difference between a JE and SRP Pistons >

Difference between a JE and SRP Pistons

Notices

Difference between a JE and SRP Pistons

Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between a JE and SRP Pistons

I know JE and SRP pistons are both made by the same company. What is really the difference between the two? Why do they have two separate lines of pistons?

Here is what the website says: Both JE and SRP are high quality forged pistons. JE Pistons are designed primarily for racing engines and are available for many "race specific" applications. In addition, JE Pistons can be custom made to your specification in as little as 5 days. SRP Pistons are manufactured as a "catalog only" piston and are not available in custom configurations. In addition, all SRP forgings utilize dedicated forgings that reduce the amount of machining required to complete the piston. Since time is money, SRP Pistons are more affordable.

But, is there a material/strength difference?

Thanks

Last edited by IHTFP; 10-20-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the JE are a professional grade piston that you can have made to your exact spec's if needed, the srp's are a good piston, but not built to the same spec's as the JE's, and have limited sizes. thats what I've been told, not sure how accurate that is.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

SRP is more of an off the shelf piston
if you need any custom specs it will be a JE piston

JE is made of better quality materials etc.

how much power are you looking to make with it

Ive made over 800 hp with a regular SRP piston in a turbocharged sbf motor
so the SRP stuff is not junk
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Just looking to make 550 HP or so with a BBC. The reason I am curious is that I believe Mercruiser uses JE pistons in some of their engines and was wondering why they used JE instead of SRP. I already have a set of SRP for my build, just want to make sure they are appropriate for a marine engine before I go any farther.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IHTFP
Just looking to make 550 HP or so with a BBC. The reason I am curious is that I believe Mercruiser uses JE pistons in some of their engines and was wondering why they used JE instead of SRP. I already have a set of SRP for my build, just want to make sure they are appropriate for a marine engine before I go any farther.
Yeah for a 550hp put them in there and dont worry about them at all
they will work great with no issues with that power level

like I said Ive used them on over 800hp turbocharged small block motors without any issues what so ever

Im using a set in my brothers 306 ford motor and we hit it with a 225 hp shot of nitrous on a regular basis its been together for about 4-5 years now without any issues
probably makes about 700hp with the nitrous

Im doing a 550hp 454 motor right now with the stock GM forged pistons that have the small dome on them

so those SRP's will be fine to use