Notices

Safe EGT'S?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all your guys info. Because of Ohio's six month season and my shrinking bank account, this boat has been a work in progress for 3yrs. I think I'm starting to get it though.
Attached Thumbnails Safe EGT'S?-engine-1.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Great 2nd page of info. Thanks guys.
I use EGT's in my snowmobile as a reference point, keep jetting it down until I burn down a piston, note the EGT temps and keep it jetted under that. I call it the trial and error method.
Yup I have a bucket full,#s not that important till ya find the sweet spot of the set up.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Yeah man, they are definitely different than the roots. The Whipple is even that much more different than the roots blowers. You have to throw out everything you know about roots blowers and start over. The screw compressors and centrifigals are different animals than the roots blowers. Talk to ya soon.
Eddie
I"ll make sure I charge two batterys!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
I"ll make sure I charge two batterys!!
Yeah, you'll need at least that many
Old 10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Calm Down

I have run supercharged engines for 25 yrs now and every set up is different and all EGT gauges are not equal!!
Steel heads will not even come close to handling the same egt that a aluminum head motor can run. Head Heat absorption plays and important part on how much a piston will absorb.
Why do you think mercury started piston oilers??
If your to rich and take timing out the problem will get worst.
Air fuel ratios reading spark plugs and inspecting piston during inspections will give the true meaning to cylinder temps!!
Piston companys can use different slugs that can take anywhere from 1100 to 1500*f and more if you coat the domes. My JE piston cant handle the same cylinder temp as my Aries, If his running stock cast piston were all wasting finger time. I run 1400 to 1500 all day long,,The head water temp never gets above 150. Raise that temp to 200 and everything changes!!
Just didn't fall off the noon ballon here. I was hoping he would take everones advice and I only gave him a couple of quick and easy pointers to go with the other posts. He does have the tools to do some troubleshooting I was going for the quick tests to see where his temps went. Temp is Temp. Piston oilers have been around for ever (Mercury just caught up to that in the last few years, I have ran them and it is the only way to go). Pulling timing will have a effect lean or rich, but you have to find what end of the spectrum you are at first, and decreasing timing is better on a blown motor than having to much (have pictures to prove that). Like you stated there are many variables. Have seen alot of guys run aluminum heads with cast internals, not much benifit when running at those temps. Iron virses Aluminum. At that point in the post I was assuming what internals he had were stock pieces (iron). So yes you are right ( Head Heat absorption plays and important part on how much a piston will absorb). I should asked a few more questions before I posted, sorry But how many hours do you get at 1400 to 1500 degrees? Do this engine gig for a living, and it all comes down to, how much money you want to spend. Sorry for my gross ignorance.

Last edited by Throttle Fever; 10-30-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Just pulled my down after 14 months and 200 hrs ,, look like they came out the box with no color no stuck rings no distortion!!
Rudy Ice injection has Glenns 37 Talon that runs 155 all day long 15 pounds of boost with 350hrs @ 1440-1550 EGTs.. 1380hp on methanol
Hrs has nothing to do with it if its not right it wont make the dyno.
I have run 600 cuin supercharged power in a tunnel hull as long as anyone and have went to school burning many piston.
Years ago we didn't even have EGT or O2 sensors reading a new set of plugs after wot was the norm..
When my Dad raced with Cig in the 70s they used only aircraft cylinder temp gauges because with the 400 gals of fuel on board the EGTs were off the hook at the start of the race..
Something no one has talk about is intake air temp,, another factor that plays and important role in supercharge set up. Before 3 Stage water pumps the EGT limits were much lower..
The eliminator was 1982, Rig my boats,engines,transmissions and gave up the drive duty to Randy with Marine Drives because hes the man!!
Attached Thumbnails Safe EGT'S?-picture.jpg   Safe EGT'S?-engine-crane.jpg   Safe EGT'S?-skater-power.jpg  

Last edited by HotPursuit; 10-30-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered

Just pulled my down after 14 months and 200 hrs ,, look like they came out the box with no color no stuck rings no distortion!!
Rudy Ice injection has Glenns 37 Talon that runs 155 all day long 15 pounds of boost with 350hrs @ 1440-1550 EGTs.. 1380hp on methanol
Hrs has nothing to do with it if its not right it wont make the dyno.
I have run 600 cuin supercharged power in a tunnel hull as long as anyone and have went to school burning many piston.
Years ago we didn't even have EGT or O2 sensors reading a new set of plugs after wot was the norm..
When my Dad raced with Cig in the 70s they used only aircraft cylinder temp gauges because with the 400 gals of fuel on board the EGTs were off the hook at the start of the race..
Something no one has talk about is intake air temp,, another factor that plays and important role in supercharge set up. Before 3 Stage water pumps the EGT limits were much lower..
The eliminator was 1982, Rig my boats,engines,transmissions and gave up the drive duty to Randy with Marine Drives because hes the man!!
Wow your Great you earned the bozooo button
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Registered

Look hardware is hardware it all fails the same due to extreme temps soon or later. Natural asperated Super charged Turbo charged ....EGt's mean everything thats the key for survival....Yes afr is great for fine tuning and if your trying to meet "EPA EMISSIONS" weather it's gas diesel or anything else... Yes I develope and run turbo charged engine's from 50 hp to 10,000 hp 8000 ftlbs of torque diesel engine's everyday for 20 years now.. and yes I work for the worlds biggest and best engine manufactors in the world. and no it's not CAT or cummins.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Wow your Great you earned the bozooo button
I know!! Shadow Cat my sons boat hes 25 and also great..
Blue Warlock 1986
Attached Thumbnails Safe EGT'S?-bob-teague.jpg   Safe EGT'S?-tic-faw-shadow-cat-2009.jpg   Safe EGT'S?-emerald-coast-poker-run-09-1.jpg  

Safe EGT'S?-picture-001.jpg  

Last edited by HotPursuit; 10-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Look hardware is hardware it all fails the same due to extreme temps soon or later. Natural asperated Super charged Turbo charged ....EGt's mean everything thats the key for survival....Yes afr is great for fine tuning and if your trying to meet "EPA EMISSIONS" weather it's gas diesel or anything else...
Sorry, but I have to disagree. First, not all hardware fails due to extreme temps, or anything else for that matter.
Secondly, EGT's do not mean everything. When is engine is properly tuned (afr's are ideal) and the engine has the maximum amount of timing that it can without detonating, then the egt's are what they are and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You have unlimited tunability to control afr's. You can also move the timing around where ever you want it. After you get that right, the egt's cant be changed. The egt's could be high if the engine is either rich or lean, so how can you tune from just them? You can't. If the afr's are too high and the engine starts to knock, it will tear itself up before the egt's ever get out of hand.
When tuning, I live and die by afr's. Not just for economy or emissions, but to keep the engine together and running the best that it can. Sure, I take those things into consideration.....especially economy. I also take egt's into consideration, but nothing more. They are a tool, but no where near as important as afr's. When an engine is tuned correctly and the timing is at it's optimum, then the egt's are going to be determined by your combo. Your choice of parts and method of build will have the greatest effect on them. If the engine is tuned and the egt's are still to high, then you made a poor choice when building it or picking a combo.
Look, I'm not trying to bust any balls or pick a fight. I am trying to help some people on here that need it. I want to make sure they have the correct info to go by. I'm sure you are very smart and are very good at what you do. Maybe diesels are different. I don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't know how to tune one.
Anyway, hope this helps someone.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.