Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
buy or run ? >

buy or run ?

Notices

buy or run ?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the imput !! it was babied from what i can tell and fresh water - it will be salt water use with me tho... but will be babied still - will keep at home and trailer it on nice weekends to the water....
i ll get a survey done up for rot but how does moisture get in the stringers - silly question perhaps... i get the transom gettin water but does moisture just creep in thru the fiberglass ?? i'm new to this so dont mind me lol thanks again !!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

[QUOTE=oldscoolscarab;2982667i ll get a survey done up for rot but how does moisture get in the stringers - silly question perhaps... lol thanks again !![/QUOTE]

You know , people have this bad habit of always adding more stuff to their boats , drilling holes here and there , not sealing them properly, got the picture ? .
Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Registered

When I've replaced my transom the cutouts for the drives were sealed/gelcoated .

All my existing holes on the hull were retained and fiber fillers were added in the plywood to further isolate the problem of water intrusion.If you look at the drainhole plug location it has a void of wood there too.

Most older boats I've seen the drive cutouts were either left raw or just painted . Once the transom assy rubber seal hardens it lets water get passed by , hence most of the rotten transoms.I've seen a Scarab in a yard with the drives off ,owner started poking in the cutout to check , wood came out like wet sawdust.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

nice work on your boat !! seems crazy that the factory does not seal em up better ?!?! i mean they were not cheap, no name floating device like some out there ... anyway, thanks again for the imput - much appreciated !!! from what i gather even if the transom is fine today, next summer could be a diff scene ... best insurance i guess would be to get it sealed right and put new gaskets to keep the water out - i worked fiberglass many times but how much of a job would it be to replace those gaskets ? i'm planning to keep the boat for many many years
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
jfm
Registered

Where is the boat located.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered

Arrow

Originally Posted by oldscoolscarab
how much of a job would it be to replace those gaskets ? i'm planning to keep the boat for many many years

You have to pull the drives and engine to get the transom assy off to replace the gasket if you don't have enough room to get the nuts off the studs . If the seats are easily removable the engines could be slid forward to get to the nylock nuts easier.
My engines are stuffed in pretty tight , so I just yank the engines out for some of these services.

Last edited by spectras only; 10-30-2009 at 06:54 PM.