496 mag to 496 mag HO conversion >

496 mag to 496 mag HO conversion

Notices

496 mag to 496 mag HO conversion

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Throttle body has some mod also I recall...
was told I had to drill out the throtle plate hole to 1/4 .
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Problem is that it's a ton of work for very little gain.
You'll need parts obviously.

Even the balancer has to come off. Lot of work but hey I remember all that.
Well thats what I do for a living been a GM certified tech for 25 years, hoping I could wrap up both engines in a weekend,
I see from reading the merc manual I dont have to drop the oil pan to remove and reinstall the timimg cover and all gaskets are reuseable,is that correct?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
Well thats what I do for a living been a GM certified tech for 25 years, hoping I could wrap up both engines in a weekend,
I see from reading the merc manual I dont have to drop the oil pan to remove and reinstall the timimg cover and all gaskets are reuseable,is that correct?
Well, I'd love to hear you could do that in a weekend! If you're not taking them out of the boat which I highly recommend, I think it will take most of the weekend for you do completely finish one of the two.

Not all gaskets are reusable. Best I remember, you'll need some extra valve cover bolt seals - those little rubber grommet type pieces.... They usually break apart on you if you don't go real slow. I go through a couple here and there.

You'll need some exhaust manifold gaskets - I bought the stainless ones from GM.

You'll need head gaskets.

Intake, valve covers, timing cover are all o-ring type and can be reused no problem.

You may need to buy the metal-backed seal from Merc that sits between your circ pump and the bottom of the cross-over. They take shape and it's not worth trying to get to it later if it leaks. Check your heat exchanger seals carefully. May want to replace them if they are not nice and soft etc..

A 25 year GM tech should not have many problems. We've done it more than once and I can tell you that it's a mess to try to do it in a "nice" boat. If the boat is a "beater" or you don't care then it will be easier.

I take it you have excellent access all around the engine itself in your rig...

If you can finish two engines in a weekend that'd be a record. Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Also, you have torque-to-yield head bolts. You can argue with someone about whether or not you want to replace them.

Merc specifically says not to reuse them for what that's worth to you. Don't over torque on reinstall. You'll see not much meat on that deck.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Do yo have DTS on the boat??
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDFever
Also, you have torque-to-yield head bolts. You can argue with someone about whether or not you want to replace them.

Merc specifically says not to reuse them for what that's worth to you. Don't over torque on reinstall. You'll see not much meat on that deck.
Heads will stay on the engine for a cam change
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

I have about 3 feet in front of the engines and the back seat so engines are staying in the boat.

I know on the 5.3 gm engines we have to remove the heads to get the lifters out but the 8.1 on the trucks we dont have to remove the heads,so I was not planning on messing with cyl heads or exhaust manifolds,

something different in the marine 8.1 that I dont know?

and its cable shift and cable throtle no DTS

Last edited by boatnt; 03-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

I have about 3 feet in front of the engines and the back seat so engines are staying in the boat.

I know on the 5.3 gm engines we have to remove the heads to get the lifters out but the 8.1 on the trucks we dont have to remove the heads,so I was not planning on messing with cyl heads or exhaust manifolds,

something different in the marine 8.1 that I dont know?

and its cable shift and cable throtle no DTS
Naw I just figured you might slap a nice set of heads on there while you're that far. I only asked bout the DTS cause of the computer flash

Last edited by SDFever; 03-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

What I wouldn't give for that.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Heads will stay on the engine for a cam change
Not if he gets the bug. I was gonna do that cam change too remember??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.