Vortec Supercharger

Notices

Vortec Supercharger

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec Supercharger

Is anyone running a Vortec Supercharger? Anyone with any experience with them?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered

Yes, about 150 hours worth of experience. What would you like to know.
Allen
Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Allen

Are you running your Vortec on a carb or injected set-up? I have a complete Vortec supercharger and inner cooler but I am not sure if it is the set-up I want to use. After talking with Vortec their customer service is very poor.

I do know of another guy here in town that and 400 hours or so on a stock 454 Mag and swore by his Vortec. I am thinking about ditching the Vortec side mount supercharger and going with a top mount rotary carb set up. I do have a MEFI 1 ECM so I know with the Vortec I need change it out to a MEFI 3 and repin the harness. I am just looking for your experience with the Vortec. Do you like it? Would you rather have something else? Would you use a Vortec again?

Thanks Brian
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered

Brian,
Mine are on 500 efis. I found Vortech costomer service very noligable and customer service to be very good. Maybe you need to talk to Bob (he is the man when it comes to marine vortech).
If yours has the MEFI1 I am thinking yours may still have the VST tank. Does it? if it does I doubt this system or anyother supercharger will work correctly (vst tanks and electric fuel pumps will not work together)

The whipple system does look a little better but i cannot stand the constain blower whine of them. Vortech you hear at idle but anything above idle you do not hear them. The vortech kit is a much better looking kit than the pro charger kit and a lot less noise.

A buddy of mine owns the local hot rod shop for boaters and I have helped with install of all types of superchargers and for the bang for the buck the Vortech cannot be beat in my opinion.
One more opinion. The vortech does not make boost until around 4000 to 4200 rpms and this makes it alot easier to keep bravo type drives together versus those that make boost down lower in the rpm range.

I would use the vortech kit again in a minute.I did have a local guy here do the programing in the boat and we did not use vortech for the programing (this was a personal prefrence)

If you have anymore questions please feel free t ask.
Allen

Last edited by 29scarab10; 11-10-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Registered

Whipple it and be done......
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

I like the pro chargers and the vortech's! lets face it the only time you need boost is when the throttles are on dash in the full forward position..as stated their more gentle on the drives plus when your not in boost mode your not forcing as much fuel through the motor,less weight and they are usually inter cooled..

vortech seems to be a little more reliable then pro charge,i say go for it!!