Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Dies when Throttle is APPLIED! >

Engine Dies when Throttle is APPLIED!

Notices

Engine Dies when Throttle is APPLIED!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Dies when Throttle is APPLIED!

I was cruising at 3500 RPM the other day and my port engine began to lose rpms, so I brought both motors to idle then I turned engines off. I immediatly started the port engine and it started and idled fine, then I started the starboard engine and it started and idled fine. I put engines in gear and began to apply throttle and port engine would die. I turned both engines off and cranked the port engine only and it would crank and idle, but as soon as I tried to rev it up it would lose RPM or die. It sounds to me like its getting no fuel when throttle is applied.. ANYONE have any help or suggestions on where to begin.?!. BTW, it is a 1997 500HP Carb. engine!

Thanks

FT
Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

First I would check to see if the accelerator pump is working and spraying fuel out of the squiters. With the flame arrestor off and the motor shut off look into the carb with a flashlight and have someone pump the throttle. You should see streams of fuel spraying in the carb. Next step would be taking the fuel bowls off and taking a look.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawMan
First I would check to see if the accelerator pump is working and spraying fuel out of the squiters. With the flame arrestor off and the motor shut off look into the carb with a flashlight and have someone pump the throttle. You should see streams of fuel spraying in the carb. Next step would be taking the fuel bowls off and taking a look.
x2

You are running out of fuel on that engine.

Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

First check or change the fuel filter if you haven't already. Next, if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, get one hooked up...even if it's temporary. You may have a fuel pump going away. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Are they pulling fuel from the same tank or do they have separate fuel tanks???? I had a similar problem on my 525SC and it was water in the fuel.
It shouldn't be that hard to track down the problem. I agree, it sounnds like its running out of fuel. Usually a bad accelerator pump will just give a flat spot off idle and not make it die completely. Pull the flame arrestor and see what s going on. It could actually be flooding out because of a bad needle seat as well, but I would think you would have smelled the raw fuel.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

All of the above! If nothing else works check the fuel pick up's i had a similar problem in a customers boat,the pick up tube cracked at the threaded end that screwed into the 90 deg elbo where the fuel line slides on in the tank..ran fine on plane because all the fuel rush's to the back of the tank,then no fuel could be sucked up because of the cracked fuel tube..

If their alunimum replace both,the new design are plastic and wont crack..
Old 11-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered

Took the flame arrestor off and pump throttle and no fuel is spraying...I DO have gas in the gas tank! NOw what???
Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

do you have the sea/fuel pump combo?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TubzzFormula 271
Took the flame arrestor off and pump throttle and no fuel is spraying...I DO have gas in the gas tank! NOw what???
See my post #4
Eddie
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Now verify if your fuel pressure is good and filling the fuel bowls. Then check the accelerator pump circuit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.