Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Has anyone used a crank from Ohio Crankshaft? >

Has anyone used a crank from Ohio Crankshaft?

Notices

Has anyone used a crank from Ohio Crankshaft?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
If you are only looking to get 450 HP why bother stroking?
Agreed. No reason to stroke it to 496 if all you want is 450hp. That can be done with a 454, roller cam, port work on the heads and exhaust.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had good luck building strokers in the past. I have all cast parts now after being told they where Magnum parts.
I need new cranks, heads where from 1973 and did not have hardened seats and I don't want to throw money at them. And last it has a flat tappet cam. So all I have to work with is a block, oil pan and flywheels.

I was given 13k worth of reciepts for work done, If I had to do it over again I would have spent the $500 and got a survey and the boat would still be sitting in a garage in AZ.

So that is why I was asking about Ohio Crank, but the saying goes you get what you pay for
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I have had good luck building strokers in the past. I have all cast parts now after being told they where Magnum parts.
I need new cranks, heads where from 1973 and did not have hardened seats and I don't want to throw money at them. And last it has a flat tappet cam. So all I have to work with is a block, oil pan and flywheels.

I was given 13k worth of reciepts for work done, If I had to do it over again I would have spent the $500 and got a survey and the boat would still be sitting in a garage in AZ.

So that is why I was asking about Ohio Crank, but the saying goes you get what you pay for
In that case, you might as well stroke it then.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

I'm not saying their bad crankshafts its the final process of grinding that should be checked,some of the china cranks are good but sometimes when balancing the assemblies could cost more then just buying a decent crankshaft..

We ran a Ohio crank in a dirt track car for years,never had any issues with it, if your on a budget i would say go for it,it is a 4340 forged crank which is stronger then cast and if your looking for 450 ish hp you wont have any problems..

just make sure the crank journals are smooth so you don't have any bearing problems..