Auto start on diesel? >

Auto start on diesel?

Notices

Auto start on diesel?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by "SHUKO"
This is absolutely correct, I own a rig and my family owns a diesel garage. I've asked the same question about starting the truck while the block heater is still plugged in and the answer is "don't do it". Reason being is that as the coolant begins to circulate through the engine it creates tiny air bubbles while passing by the block heater which protrudes into the water passage. If the block heater is left plugged in while coolant is circulating the air bubbles will eventually burn out the element. Once in a while won't damage it but on a daily basis, such as using a remote starter, damage will be inevitable.
heater plugged in while the engine is running can damage the heater. as the coolant heats up hotter than the block heater is capaiable of it lowers the resistance of the heating element, which then causes the heating element to draw more current and possiable leading to the heating element burning out. If the heating element draws 1000 watts at 120 volts then that equals 14.4 ohm's of resistance. Not sure of the temp. that the heating element heats to but say if it is a 100*F and the truck runs and heats up to 200*F than resistance value drops to 7.2ohm's then the current draw is 16.6 amps witch can burn the heating element out if the element is not raited to handle that kind of current.

But i dont listen! i have done it for about 10 minutes then go about my way..

air bubbles? isnt a cooling system sealed and thats why they have a puke tank for a engine to draw coolent from..if their were air bubbles in my cooling system i would be more worried about the cylinder walls instead of a 28 dollar block heater element..

just my 02.