Auto start on diesel? >

Auto start on diesel?

Notices

Auto start on diesel?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Auto start on diesel?

I am wanting to buy an autostart for my diesel to warm her up in the mornings. 2 questions?

1) Do they make an autostart with a delay to allow the glow plugs to warm up?

2) Can I leave my truck plugged up while the autostart is engaging?

I have done some research and found that there is some out there somewhere but have yet to locate a brand name / part number.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many good choices out there. Just make sure to buy from a reputable place. I would stay away from Best buy, etc. They can ruin your vehicle by running a screw into a harness etc. Find a good stereo shop in your area. The control module has settings for glow plug warmup and extended crank times. Have one on my PSD for 5 yrs now. Love it !!! Sorry can't remember the brand, but they all use the same basic guts inside.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got one on my 99 PSD since new. Tied into wait to start light. Light goes out and it starts. Real cold and won'tstart?? Will recycle and start over three times then stop if still no start. I too forget the brand
Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Registered

put your block heater on a timer so it goes off right before your remote start. I heard it shouldn't be plugged in when running.....so I dont.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Auto Starts for diesels have been around for years...I used to install the Audiovox systems....which i believe were made by DEI..anyway most systems can be programmed for a delayed start for the diesels. The Prestige (By Audiovox) i have on my truck now has that option. The nice thing i like about the Prestige systems is they have all the relays yo uneed built into the brain box....dont have to add relays for parking lights or door locks etc.....just do some homework or ask people what they have and if they are happy with them. Biggest complaint ive always heard about was the remotes crapping out too fast....i'm on my 3rd witht he orriginal remotes and still going strong even after dropping it in the lake!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Appreciate all the input guys....I
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

I always like to ask around before trusting a shop....salesman lie lol
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

What kind and yr of truck?
All the ones I do are DEI. Most truck will have a way to interface with the wait to start wire but some of the newer trucks you can't. All the DEI(viper, hornet, python, avital etc..) will have a timer built into the brain for use on a diesel. Its just a matter of programming in the option after intsalling.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i have this one in mine http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....5-d28af84486d4
10yrs and still works awsome.
the nice part, it tells you your truck starter on the display on the remote..

Last edited by FIXX; 12-02-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcuda499
put your block heater on a timer so it goes off right before your remote start. I heard it shouldn't be plugged in when running.....so I dont.
This is absolutely correct, I own a rig and my family owns a diesel garage. I've asked the same question about starting the truck while the block heater is still plugged in and the answer is "don't do it". Reason being is that as the coolant begins to circulate through the engine it creates tiny air bubbles while passing by the block heater which protrudes into the water passage. If the block heater is left plugged in while coolant is circulating the air bubbles will eventually burn out the element. Once in a while won't damage it but on a daily basis, such as using a remote starter, damage will be inevitable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.