small blocks or big blocks? >

small blocks or big blocks?

Notices

small blocks or big blocks?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnawanna
I'm a long way from installing motors. It's been a few years since I have been around performance boats and I still think about those 27 cigs and magnums with the small blocks they were pretty cool and ran pretty good. The boat I am building won't even come close the performance of the new boats today so I am just trying to put together a nice clean and cool old ride. Thanks for the input and I most likely will go with some mild performance big blocks.
You can make a very clean cool ride with twin SB. Here my wicked 21ft tunnel with a 500+ HP 406. Its been running like a champ for about a decade now. Net net I would have saved money building a BBC, but I am happy all said and done.

This is my small boat has the 406 and my "big" one has an Ilmor 710 on it

My motto after nearly 3 decades of boating is the simpler the better.
all the air pushing stuff is really good these days though, but without fuel injection dont even think of putting any kind of huffer on anything- youll be f-ing with it constantly.

good luck and keep us up to date.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails small blocks or big blocks?-daves-sebring-calendar.jpg   small blocks or big blocks?-dsc06295.jpg   small blocks or big blocks?-img_0583.jpg  

small blocks or big blocks?-dsc05606.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
do those turbo's have water jackets around the turbine area. what kind of turbo are they?
thanks
Larry
There nothing special or expensive. Turbos are Garret TO4s. Rolled .125 Stainless and tig welded around Ex housing Then cut and welded end plates on. Then welded a fitting for water in and water out 17 years ago. And they are still working fine. Bobby
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Nine boat Uncle Dave
Old 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Big Blocks Rule. More Torque at lower RPM's. You can build whatever CI you want depending on the block bore and stoke you use.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice boats dave, Part for part I can't see where the big block parts are less expensive. If I was trying to build 600 to 800 hp I would agree but I am looking at maybe 500hp and I talked to a engine builder that will build marine 383's with warranties that produce 505hp at 6100 rpm and 495 ft# of torq at 4700 rpms with 750 cfm carbs for around $6200 each for long blocks with intakes, balancer, and pans. Thats what struck some of my intrest. I don't know if the bravo drives could handle that rpm range. As far as exhaust Lightning,Imco,Stainless, and Emi all make them for small blocks. All the new big blocks I have priced in that hp range were around $8000.00 plus. I am starting with no motors but have most of the parts to put big blocks back in the boat minus the long blocks. Like I said it most likely will be big blocks it's just something I have been thinking about.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Again based on your goals the most cost effective and efficient way would be to go with mild 454's. You are going to need the low end grunt to get that resin bucket going. (believe I know) You can find deals on BBC exhaust and accessories all over the swap shop and e-bay. Deals on SBC stuff is hard to find.

I only know of one 30' SCARAB with the same bottom as ours with SBC's, it ran 51 MPH and small azz props to get on plane. I belive it was pushing ~320HP/side as compared to a 330 bravo Panther will run about 61-63.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Also, get a thread up in the Scarab forum of your re-rig. we love them and there is a couple of good ones that have been done.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM

thanks for the input Rookie I realy like your panther I looked at the pics. you posted of it and it helped me decide to get one for myself.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by donnawanna
I am considering some 383 small blocks because of building costs and fuel consumption
Big misconception. It takes X amount of fuel to make X amount of horsepower. Assuming both engines are tuned properly, a 500 hp big block and a 500 hp small block will consume the same amount of fuel. The BB will probably use more fuel getting on plane, but at cruise speed, they will be very, very similar in consumption.
Eddie
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Big misconception. It takes X amount of fuel to make X amount of horsepower. Assuming both engines are tuned properly, a 500 hp big block and a 500 hp small block will consume the same amount of fuel. The BB will probably use more fuel getting on plane, but at cruise speed, they will be very, very similar in consumption.
Eddie
Ok makes sence, but what about hp and torq? would it perform the same big or small block? with the same ratings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.