Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New Builds - What to expect??????? >

New Builds - What to expect???????

Notices

New Builds - What to expect???????

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts
Default New Builds - What to expect???????

I hate asking these kind of questions however I never got my boat in the water this year after spending much time and money on my new 496's. I am really curious as to what speed I should expect to see with the new engines. I plan to dyno one this winter however I am pretty condident they will be over 600 HP and torque.

The boat is a 78 Spectra that weighs under 6500 pds dressed. The original 454/330 twin package radared at 65 - 66 MPH. I am really hoping for 78 to 82 MPH. Am I out of line? Regardless the boat will be a lot more fun and I am excited about going into next season and have many other winter projects planned.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would think that you should be able to hit 80. A good number to use for your boat is 15-17 hp/mph gain. You ran 65 before with 330 hp. You are adding approx. 270. Using 15 hp/mph, you will gain 18 mph. Using 17 hp/mph, you will gain almost 16 mph. That puts you at or just over the 80 mph mark. Every boat is different and I am not familiar with yours. They all reach a point at which you must throw tons of power at it for minimal gains. I have no idea where that point is on your boat. However, I doubt that 80 is the limit for that hull. I think you will hit it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Eddie
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I would think that you should be able to hit 80. A good number to use for your boat is 15-17 hp/mph gain. You ran 65 before with 330 hp. You are adding approx. 270. Using 15 hp/mph, you will gain 18 mph. Using 17 hp/mph, you will gain almost 16 mph. That puts you at or just over the 80 mph mark. Every boat is different and I am not familiar with yours. They all reach a point at which you must throw tons of power at it for minimal gains. I have no idea where that point is on your boat. However, I doubt that 80 is the limit for that hull. I think you will hit it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,
That's pretty much what I hoping for. The hull is your basic truditional offshore bottom. Very similar to that of a Magnum.
Thanks for your input. It just kills me that I never got it in the water this season. The engine builds took a little longer than expected. That's OK though. They are solid and ready. In my 93 - 28 Challenger I went from 66 to 78 MPH when I changed the 330's out to 480's. That hull was splashed from a Magnum.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I've been on 32 Spectras with 454's and 502's & TRS drives , 65 mph and low 70's respectively . I think the fastest 32 Spectra did 90 max back in the old days when Edelbrock and few raced them .Burtandnancy [ member on performanceboats] could tell you exactly what you can expect from this hull.
Burt's 32 from the ol' days ,racing to Catalina . Vic's race number was 427 .

The hulls are built like bricks , so you have to throw a lot of power to move them.

Ps; Getrdun, log on to www.riverdavesplace.com , lot of us spectra nuts reside there. Racey [ member there] and his dad built a few 32's from the mold they bought from Bud Bailey [ designer of Spectra boats and later chief designer for Hallett boats] when Bud closed shop in 1982 or so.

Last edited by spectras only; 12-08-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
I've been on 32 Spectras with 454's and 502's & TRS drives , 65 mph and low 70's respectively . I think the fastest 32 Spectra did 90 max back in the old days when Edelbrock and few raced them .Burtandnancy [ member on performanceboats] could tell you exactly what you can expect from this hull.
Burt's 32 from the ol' days ,racing to Catalina . Vic's race number was 427 .

The hulls are built like bricks , so you have to throw a lot of power to move them.

Ps; Getrdun, log on to www.riverdavesplace.com , lot of us spectra nuts reside there. Racey [ member there] and his dad built a few 32's from the mold they bought from Bud Bailey [ designer of Spectra boats and later chief designer for Hallett boats] when Bud closed shop in 1982 or so.
Thanks,
I belong to RiverDaves also. I posted there a while back but didn't get much feed back. I always go back to strusty offshoreonly. I wonder what power plants they had in the one that ran 90. I saw that advertised also but it never said what it had in it. I would imagine turbo charged back then. If you know how to get a hold of the guy who did the chopped deck I would love to get a hold of him for some ideas and what not. I have a thread in fiberglass and paint also that touches on the deck mods and paint. I really like the hull. The boat cuts the water and handles very well. Some people replied a while back and claimed that the hull was like a 18 1/2 to 20 degree bottome however that is incorrect.

Thanks for your help.
John
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I did reply to some of your posts over there. Spectras were usually equipped with Gale Bank turbos , and I think the 90 mph Spectra had turbos too. There was also a 24 Spectra with twin staggered twin turbo 454's ,that Greg Schoemaker [ jet boat champ and guru ] restored for a customer.It was a barnfind ! It was owned originally by Gary Galbraith I think , a rare piece. Jim Wilkes [ V-drive guru ] on performanceboats was a Spectra dealer back in the 70's 80's , contact him for info.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

thanks again for your help.
John