Synthetic Oil in HP500

Notices

Synthetic Oil in HP500

Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff

A myth started by Merc before they had their own synthetic oil to sell.
It was Teague's article about roller lifters skidding across the cam lobe that started alot of this talk. In a more recent article he was quoted as saying he was talking about solid lifter roller's that were running high spring pressure. Guess who sponsers Teagues race boats now????
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for all of the re-assuring feed back!!!

Danny
Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
You'll be just fine. Just make sure what oil he used. It should either be the Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil or the 20w-50 High Performance Oil (ARO). Those are AMSOIL's highest zinc and phosphorus oils, which are specifically designed for the rollers. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I can you get some data sheets on any and all products also.

I read the article again last night. It was crane that stated no synthetics for the hydraulic roller cams. Teague did the testing for Amsoil and stated that the Dominator was the oil to use.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercs oil is a semi-synthetic right? Not full?

Dan
Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by StarLoone
Mercs oil is a semi-synthetic right? Not full?

Dan
Yep. 25W-40 synthetic blend.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Just A Thought

If synthetic oil is so slick that a roller rocker will not turn as designed then how can there be enough friction created to form a flat spot on either the cam lobe or the lifter roller?

Just a question I have!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

I believe a good mineral based oil helps facilitate the necessary break in process. Then switch to a synthetic. Any thoughts on this? The contradiction is Volvo. As we know Merc and Volvo are using GM engines. Merc says to use there 25W-40 mineral based or Dura blend. Volvo says only there Volvo full synthetic 30W. wonder what GM says... Merc says it is normal to consume oil during the break in period, we all know the rings need to seat. You would think using a full synthetic would extend that break in period. In a production block i have not seen any noticeable oil consumption in either the synthetic or mineral oils during break in. Except some Big Blocks when run hard.
So the question: For break in say 10-20 hours (engines that will not be torn down in 250 hours or more) Synthetic or Mineral
Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DonRoc
I believe a good mineral based oil helps facilitate the necessary break in process. Then switch to a synthetic. Any thoughts on this? The contradiction is Volvo. As we know Merc and Volvo are using GM engines. Merc says to use there 25W-40 mineral based or Dura blend. Volvo says only there Volvo full synthetic 30W. wonder what GM says... Merc says it is normal to consume oil during the break in period, we all know the rings need to seat. You would think using a full synthetic would extend that break in period. In a production block i have not seen any noticeable oil consumption in either the synthetic or mineral oils during break in. Except some Big Blocks when run hard.
So the question: For break in say 10-20 hours (engines that will not be torn down in 250 hours or more) Synthetic or Mineral
Yes, you should break in with a mineral oil. Because high quality synthetics have such a high film strength, they will not allow break in. 10 hours of break in should be plenty as long as it is run consistently, not babied.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM used to put Mobil 1 in all Corvettes leaving the plant and recommended it for continued use. I personally swear by Amsoil and there EAO filters. Oil is cheap engines aren't. JMO
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I break in all mine with rotella, then switch, but yes several GM engines now come with moble 1 from the factory and specified on the oil cap, corvettes, camaro's and I just bought a STS and they specify on that as well....Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.