BBC oil pump ? >

BBC oil pump ?

Notices

BBC oil pump ?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Eddie, 1:35 AM??? Do you ever sleep? It never ceases to amaze me that you are so willing to spend your limited time sharing your expertise on this site.......

I sleep a few minutes hear and there. I work late every night. It seems to be the only time I can get anything accomplished. I love what I do and I enjoy helping people out. I know what it's like to not be able to pay someone to fix your stuff. That's how I learned a lot of what I know. I used to ask a ton of questions and had the benefit of people helping me out, so I have no problem helping guys out and returning the favor.
I obviously do get some work from this and other sites, but it's not why I help. The vast majority of help I give will never make any money for me. That is not why I do it. Like this thread......I won't get any business from this. And that's just fine. Like I said.......it's for the love of the sport. I'm really glad that I can help someone out. There are definitely some lessons that I learned the hard way. If I can prevent someone from doing the same thing and maybe save their engine then I will do what I can to help. I'm just glad that my assisstance actually helps people out. That is all that I need in return.
Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
Eddie
Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Oops. I forgot the pic. Here is a pic with the pipe plug installed in place of the bypass valve.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails BBC oil pump ?-check-valve-021-large-.jpg   BBC oil pump ?-check-valve-022-large-.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Vinney P and I both concurr!

Raylar uses the Melling 10778c on our BBC engines exclusivly and we have nothing but excellent results.

These pumps are the best because they have bearing support at the top and the bottom of the oil pump gears, which stops gear seperation at high loads which is why you see uneven wear and gouging on the old style pumps in the cover.
We do throw away the extra spring in the box, don't use it its not right or even close and we do weld the pickup tubes in place carefully (not to much heat) with the cover off and then re-install the cover and torque cover bolts and check pump feel under rotation again.

These pumps are reasonably priced and they represent the best value in BBC oil pumps today!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray,

Have you heard of the claims of pressure fluctuations @ idle speeds? As I said, the engines I recently did, have had no such effects. I too, use the high pressure spring that comes in the pump from the factory.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Vinney P
No we have never expierenced pressure fluctuations at idle on the 496's and 502's we build and work on and thats even on the Diacom diagnostic electronic readouts so I suspect anyone having those type of fluctuations either has possibly some debris or sticking maybe in the pressure relief valve on the pump or a feed problem in the oil system or something like that. I don't think these pumps fluctuate much especially at idle unless something else is wrong.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Ray,

Thanks for your input and expertise.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

vinny or raylar have you noticed low oil pressure with the 10778c pump at idle?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by conquest30'
vinny or raylar have you noticed low oil pressure with the 10778c pump at idle?
No, not on the 3 engines I have used this pump on. We ran them all last season with no pressure issues at all.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

whats your pressure at idle? sorry for all the questions .......................... also in the pic above (the center hole) was the threaded pipe just unscrewed?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

My idle pressure depended on oil temps. When the temp was up, the pressure was at about 30 psi @ 700 rpm. I never saw it drop below that.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile What promted your questions??

Conquest30'

Remember, cylinder block valves or bypasses do not drop the oil pressure on a properly assembled engine, they just bypass either the remote oil filter or cooler assemblies.
If you have a BBC engine that has a good oil pump, proper clearances in bearings and rod side clearances and you are using a good pump with lets say 10-40W to 20-50W oils, you should see about 50-60psi cold and lets say 30-60 psi hot between idle and 5500rpms if your pump has the correct pressure relief spring in the pump and everything is ok internal to the engine.
If you are seeing pressures below this cold and warm you most likely have to big of clearances, bad bearings, oil pump or such. If there are problems internal to your engine you are not going to raise oil pressure by fooling with by-passes and such.
Whats the story on your engine? Who built it? And what and why are you having oil pressure problem? or oil pump concerns?
We need more info to help with your questions.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.