Best subwoofers >

Best subwoofers

Notices

Best subwoofers

Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatinbill
Thanks to all, ok I need boxes to get what I want, has anyone tried the Kicker marine boxes, seems about the smallest foot print, any other suggestions? Note I am getting rid of two 12 inch Pyles in boxes that I had in the cabin v berth. Wanting to put 2-4 10 inch in the cockpit, so space for the boxes is an issue.
4 FA 10's under the rear bench may be the best in your case. Dave Brown's 29 Outlaw has a pair of them, and like I said they sound decent. There's room for 2 more. I've got a pic of those but it's not uploaded. I can do it when I get home if you'd like to see it. If you do find a way to build boxes, I'd use the Wet Sounds XS-12's. They're a step-up from the 10FA's, but require a sealed or ported box. Sealed makes the woofer more efficient and works better in tight spaces, where ported requires more space and more power, ported boxes are much louder though.

Originally Posted by Don't Bite Me!
Are there marine W7s? I can only find W5s in marine........ What size & number of amps and wiring configuration would be best for 4 10" subs? Inline (+ from amp to +#1 sub to +#2sub and - from amp to -#1 sub to -#2 sub.........etc.) or curcuit (+amp to +#1 sub and separate + amp to +#2 sub.......etc.) Or that may be the other way around (inline vs. curcuit)?
Either way....just trying to rock the boat!
All that depends on the woofer, single or dual voice coil, impedance of the voice coil's, and the amplifier you have.

No 7's in the marine line. I'm not a dealer for JL so I'm not up on their products at the moment. Most of their lineup is really good equipment though.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
These look pretty good... How are Pyles? I have been out of the sub action for a while know however years ago for a free air sub they worked great. I've used them in cars and boats. In the boats I just mounted them under the rear seat. Also do the JL's perform best in a sealed or ported box?

I am debating whether to go free air or sealed. If you go sealed or ported is it still best to mount them under the rear seat. If so what is the best way to vent them into the cockpit? Do most people use the space under the rear seat to enclose a custom sealed or ported box? Or build boxes to fit under the rear seat?
I'm not too keen on Pyle either. They used to be made here locally, but I've never really thought too highly of them with all the other products out there. The JL's depend on which woofer for sealed or ported, or free-air. There's a lot of variables there, and the enclosure design depends on what you can do in the boat. Most people can't build a box under the rear seat, or you could, but would have to piece it together inside. The only alternative is to dissasemble the entire rear bench, set a box in , re-assemble, then seal it to the face of the bench with the woofers mounted on the surface. It can be done, but would be permanent once it's all sealed up.

Bill, Don't know if you remember Jamie Snyder's 26' Sonic Prowler or not. He had 3 JL 10W3's in the cabin under the port side couch in sealed boxes. Perfect fit, and they were loud. If you could do that, that's what I'd recommend. We could use the Digital Designs 1510 woofer. I've done a few of those in cars and had good results.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I bought the JL marine 10, its in the center compartment in the cabin,replaced a Kicker marine 10,it looked like a cheapy,I also replaced the 5 channel Sony explode amp with a JL 6 channel,#5-6 bridge together on the 10,I was very impressed,good thump and made the 6 1/2 alot louder than the Sony.You can close the cabin door it will vibrate the sides of the boat and ya can hear the 6 1/2 thru the hull pretty clear.

Now I need to do something different with the cockpit!! Its a bunch of amps and speakers that isn't loud enough!!

I guess it depends on what kind of area you have for the subs,if its a big area that wide open the free air want do much,try and build a box/ported,even if its to small,or even drop down to a 8th's,pomp them hard,

Take a pick of the area yur putting them in.......

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Best subwoofers-stereo-9-08-035-large-.jpg   Best subwoofers-stereo-9-08-010-large-.jpg   Best subwoofers-stereo-9-08-038-large-.jpg  

Best subwoofers-interior-snow-12-04-09-019-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Thanks guys for the help. I like the idea of ported boxes under the rear seat and screwing and sealing them to the face with the subs mounted on the outside. I am limited to 10" due the rear seat base is 12" high x 14" deep. I think I'll have the two 10's under the rear seat and one 12" single or dual VC in the cuddy. Is there a good mono amp that would run all three? With three subs what would be the best combo to end up with 2 ohms preferably along with the desired amp. I guess it would have to be configured two ways depending on the 12" being single or dual voice coil.

I kind of figured Pyle was a thing of the past. Perhaps they'd be OK for the right application.

Last edited by getrdunn; 12-26-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

I think I'll have the two 10's under the rear seat and one 12" single or dual VC in the cuddy. Is there a good mono amp that would run all three? With three subs what would be the best combo to end up with 2 ohms preferably along with the desired amp. I guess it would have to be configured two ways depending on the 12" being single or dual voice coil.

I kind of figured Pyle was a thing of the past. Perhaps they'd be OK for the right application.
Cant do that. You'll need 2 mono amps to have subs separated like that. The sub in the cabin really needs to fire to the side if you do that. If it fires out of the cabin, and the 2 under the bench fire towards the cabin, you'll have a standing wave. The 29 OL I spoke of above added a DD 3512 firing to the cockpit, and we had to turn the 2 FA 10's down because it created a standing wave.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered

I dont know much about subs, but i have room to mount one free air sub, and I wanted to go 12 since I can only do one. does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/ro...12s4white.aspx
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tx911
I dont know much about subs, but i have room to mount one free air sub, and I wanted to go 12 since I can only do one. does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/ro...12s4white.aspx
if you are not in a hurry i have one of those that i dont know if it will fit where i want to put it and if it wont i am going to sell it brand new in the box my complete stereo is Rockford Fostgate and i want to keep everything the same brand Ed
Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks guys for the help. I like the idea of ported boxes under the rear seat and screwing and sealing them to the face with the subs mounted on the outside. I am limited to 10" due the rear seat base is 12" high x 14" deep. I think I'll have the two 10's under the rear seat and one 12" single or dual VC in the cuddy. Is there a good mono amp that would run all three? With three subs what would be the best combo to end up with 2 ohms preferably along with the desired amp. I guess it would have to be configured two ways depending on the 12" being single or dual voice coil.

Jon
When you get ready to do this project let me know. I install stereos in boats in Chicago for side job. I'd be more than happy to spec out what you need. I think for what you're trying to do, you're best going with two 4 ohm speakers in the back and a 8 ohm in the cabin. Any quality amp would push this combo. With a competition grade amp you could go two 2 ohms in the back and a 4 ohm in the cabin. There are a lot of variables as to placement, I like to corner load subs whenever I can, it really makes the sub hit a lot harder. As far as brands- JL, boston Acoutics, Orion and MTX are all good subs. Not a fan of Pyle products.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
Cant do that. You'll need 2 mono amps to have subs separated like that. The sub in the cabin really needs to fire to the side if you do that. If it fires out of the cabin, and the 2 under the bench fire towards the cabin, you'll have a standing wave. The 29 OL I spoke of above added a DD 3512 firing to the cockpit, and we had to turn the 2 FA 10's down because it created a standing wave.
Makes sense. Let know if the 3rd sub in the cuddy would be beneficial or not. I would fire it from one side or the other depending on space. I just like the idea of having it in an enclosed area like the cuddy. Just seems like you'd get a bigger bang being in some what of an enclosed area so to speak. Otherwise would I just be better off going with 4 tens under the rear seat???

Thanks for your help. I kind of forgot about the fosgates. Back in the day those things use to be awesome. They were just getting real popular when I left the head banging scene. Know I have an eight year son who loves to hear dry pipes and base pounding. LOL... He digs Eminem.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
You can certainly run an sub/ amp combo like that! You just need to have an amp that can run mixed mono! To overcome the standing wave problem you just run the cabin woofer 180 degrees out of phase, which is super easy to do!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
You can certainly run an sub/ amp combo like that! You just need to have an amp that can run mixed mono! To overcome the standing wave problem you just run the cabin woofer 180 degrees out of phase, which is super easy to do!
Thanks,
Your help will be appreciated. When you can pleae put something together for me. We must have been posting at the same time earlier. You know what I have for space and what not. I am not looking to go with all seperate speaker components such as individual mids and highs. I would rather go with some thing simple yet effective like 6x9's and 6" round. Either two or three way's. With CMI's and dry pipes I just need it loud yet clear. If you can figure two 6x9's and two6" round for the cockpit and two 6" round for the cuddy. I would like to run two 10" subs for the cockpit and one 12" for the cuddy. Idealy I would like to run two amps total. Perhaps the two 6" could run from the deck power if applicable so we wouldn't have an ohm issue and wouldn't have the subs pounding when in the cuddy. Deck power with fade control would be ideal. Would also be nice to have a unit that would work with my sons ipod touch so were not changing CD's all the time.

Let me know your thoughts when you can. Also if I am going about this right. If the sub in the cuddy isn't benificial then just say so. I can always go 4 tens in the cockpit however I can't help but think having the 12 in the some what enclosed area like the cuddy would pound pretty good. Almost more so than having it in the cockpit. You know what I'm getting at.

Thanks,
John
PS I hope all is well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.