Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whats the best air compressor to get? >

Whats the best air compressor to get?

Notices

Whats the best air compressor to get?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whats the best air compressor to get?

Just wondering what some good air compressors are to use air tools and paint and such. Does it really matter? Harbor freight had some good deals on theirs I figured I would ask as I don't really know too much about them. I guess for the money which ones are pretty good?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check at tractor supply they usually have a good selection of them the IR ones are one of the brands they have
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Just wondering what some good air compressors are to use air tools and paint and such. Does it really matter? Harbor freight had some good deals on theirs I figured I would ask as I don't really know too much about them. I guess for the money which ones are pretty good?
Are you looking for a home unit or something portable?

The best portable I've used is Porter Cables 3551 series.
You can get them in oil and oil free, they have wheels and move easy. The connection plate can be detatched and mounted on wall. Around 390 bones.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...52&os=reviews#

Uncle Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I would check to see if you have an industrial, commercial place around near where you live. A place that specializes in pumps/compressors. In many cases you can get an older referbished compressor for the same or a little more than what you'd pay for a new one that is way less quality. Parts are readily available. I actually built one a while back from an 80 gallon tank I had from an old compressor and then searched for a good quality pump (Quincy) and a new true old style 5hp motor. Many electric motors will fool you with the HP rating with the amps they draw at start up rather than running. You probably don't want to bother with the build however at least go with a good brand. Many compressors are not near what they use to be. I would consider 2 stage oil pump that will give over 25 - 27 scfm at 90 and 175 psi. having a compressor that will not keep up while under normal or heavy use leads to many problems along with you not being happy. I use 1 1/2" PVC around the shop with plenty of T's with down spouts with gate valves for water traps as well. They work well. The PVC is easy to glue and work with.

At the very least be sure and do your research and google them and read up on different units. Like boating go the extra mile and you'll be much happier in the end.

Good luck and I hope I was a little help.

John
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

I would agree with a lot of what getrdunn said. If you are going to run air tools like die grinders or sanders or spray guns, tools that use a good bit of air, you're going to burn up the Harbor Freight type 2 hp compressor in no time. You really need a real 5 hp 23 amp motor on a 2 stage 17 cfm compressor minimum. That would be on a 60-80 gallon tank. New, something like that is over a thousand but if you look carefully you can find them used. Dont buy anything more than 10 years old, too great a risk they are worn out.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Getrdunn, is right. If you want to buy one more compressor and have it forever.. then go to a commercial pump and good motor.
A lot of years ago, I bought a compressor locally from a commercial shop with a Curtis pump and Baldor motor. Never looked back. It is labeled as a Challenger Air. Mine is 18.2 cfm @100psi and 17.6 cfm @ 175psi. Plenty of air to paint a car or run the air tools.
At the time I was told that rpm of the pump is critical.. Mine runs at much lower rpm than the newer cheaper brands.
I have had one of the gaskets on the pump blow out twice in 17yrs.. And not too much of a problem to fix it..

Getrdunn.. what max psi do you run with the 1 1/2" pvc? Is is schedule 40 or 80 or what?? I need to run air lines in my new shop.. tired of hoses on the floor!!

Dick
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a 220 single phase 60gal verticle tank one now for 20 years, works great, changed the oil twice I think...harbor freight and tractor supply sell simular units....now I don't know the quality now...Rob
Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Registered

Figure out what you're going to use it for and how often. Some air tools dont need much capacity, ie. nailers, impact guns/wrenches. Grinders take more, sanders even more. I have a small HF pancake compressor on my cruiser that's fine for breaking bolts loose, inflating stuff, but that's about it. And they're so cheap, you can afford to throw them away every few years and still be ahead of a high dollar unit.
I've got a 30 gallon 150psi Sears unit for home use that's fine for working in the garage but tends to run low on pressure with a lot of sander use, but I dont do much body work. So it's about right for me. If you're going to get something that size, I would get a name brand and stay away from chinese stuff.
If you're going to do a lot of bady work, blast cabinets, or use it for a living, go with as big of a 220volt you can.
My $0.02
Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to eventually paint my 27foot boat boat also wanted to stay within a budget. So basically a cheaper one will eventually get the same job done it will just take longer?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work in the body shop business, so I work with air everyday. A nice compressor for the money is a Speedair. They are nice, quit, and, smooth running. Not too expensive, but not cheap either. I have a Generic Harbor freight style upright 60 gal/6 HP that I have been using at home for the last 19 years with no problems. I service it and change the oil a couple times a year. I use it often, but it does not run all day like the one in the shop... If you are just using one every now and then, I would go and buy one at Sears. If you buy it at Sears, you can always get parts and service for it later in life. Just my opinion. If you are going to run a Blast cabinet,sand blaster, or DA for any length of time you need a minimum of a 5hp with a 60 gal. tank, or you will run out of air.. Jeff Wurl

Last edited by jwurl; 01-09-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.