Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Would you even consider running a hydrolic cam? >

Would you even consider running a hydrolic cam?

Notices

Would you even consider running a hydrolic cam?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you even consider running a hydrolic cam?

I have a new engine build going on and considering running a hydrolic cam. Seems all the cam companies have a special oil additive with zinc etc that is supposed to help. So if I run there additive and Delo oil with zinc etc do you think it will last?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

There are still a number of hyd flat tappet cams running out there. I've never had a problem with wiping out cam lobes however you here more and more about it the lack of zinc in the oils. I guess you have to consider what your building and some risks your willing to take. Even roller cams fail. Let us know what your building and maybe we can help direct you. My thoughts if it was my rebuild going on is if it was a stock type rebuild with a few mods 454 or similar and didn't have the extra 650.00 to 800.00 set aside for such I would probably just use a hyd flat tappet. Good roller set ups as you know aren't cheap. It can lead to many other items than just the cam and roller lifters. Good timing chain cover with cam button, valve springs, etc.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. The build is a 454 with a B$M 420 and a chiller.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Years ago I had the same set up with twins and used hyd. flat tappet cams. You'll love that blower. I made over 650 HP on the dyno with GM rec. heads.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

valvoline racing oil. silver bottle. still has zinc additive in it.
The hydralic flats tappet cams are less likely to wipe a lobe than the solid flat tappet cams. Hydralic cams don't use much spring pressure. Run the engine at initial start up for 30 mins at 2500rpms using a good oil and you should have no problems.

Good luck with your project.

If you can get the specs on the Merc 420HP cam. That is a good one to use for that project.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this conversation just last week with my builder. He said that the Pennzoil race oil still has the zinc either that or I'd be OK with running Amsoil syn. which I like and run in my truck. I'll be running a hydralic roller cam in the new 540's.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
The hydralic flats tappet cams are less likely to wipe a lobe than the solid flat tappet cams. Hydralic cams don't use much spring pressure. Run the engine at initial start up for 30 mins at 2500rpms using a good oil and you should have no problems.

If you can get the specs on the Merc 420HP cam. That is a good one to use for that project.
Jeff1000 is on target here, the problems most people have are caused by a bad breakin of a new cam and lifters,
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man

hyd roller is the way to go,but if it is not in the budget,add a product called ZDDP to your oil during break in,and as jeff1000man said,2500 rpm for no less than 25 minutes,and you will be good to go.ps 1 bottle of ZDDP per 5 qts oil.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Had this conversation just last week with my builder. He said that the Pennzoil race oil still has the zinc either that or I'd be OK with running Amsoil syn. which I like and run in my truck. I'll be running a hydralic roller cam in the new 540's.
dont break in with synthetic oil,sometimes the rings just wont seat[break in]that synthetic oil is some slick stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If its a new build, then why not using a hydraulic roller cam??? Not using one is like leaving easy HP at the dock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.