TRS Trim Sensors >

TRS Trim Sensors

Notices

TRS Trim Sensors

Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRS Trim Sensors

Just wondering where is a good place to buy TRS trim sensors. The best price I have found so far is $85 for the sensor and limit switch (for both sides of the drive) shipped to my door. That seems fair to me, but I wanted to make sure that there isn't a site on here that everyone uses or anywhere to get them cheaper.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think your going to find it much cheaper. Here's one from a place I have delt with and have pretty good service. Don't know if it would be any cheaper though once you add on shipping.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pro...A-2,24554.aspx
Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Would these fix my issue where sometimes my drives get out of sync w/ each other when raising or lowering? A couple of times i have had to keep working the switch to where the indicators finally showed they were even.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Don't think your going to find it much cheaper. Here's one from a place I have delt with and have pretty good service. Don't know if it would be any cheaper though once you add on shipping.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pro...A-2,24554.aspx
Thanks PJ, that's the exact same site I was talking about. With shipping they come out to be something like $84.XX to my door. Glad to hear that you've used them before. I'm going to call my local parts store to see if they want to give me a discount on them and give them to me for the online price (I like small businesses and support them every chance I get, but I don't usually give them charity by way of paying more for parts that I can get elsewhere cheaper... UNLESS it is on an item that they can give me really good advice on the part and how to install it), but if not I'll be ordering a pair of them within the month.

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Would these fix my issue where sometimes my drives get out of sync w/ each other when raising or lowering? A couple of times i have had to keep working the switch to where the indicators finally showed they were even.
I don't think so Dbig... All these do is control the top stopping point (the limit that they go up before you use the trailor function), and they control the reading on the gauge. They really don't have anything to do with raising or lowering one faster than the other, aside from letting the operator know when to stop. (they will, however, cause your normal individual up/down trim switch to not work, forcing the operator to use the trailor trim switch to trim the drives)

Your issue sounds more like a worn out ram on the slower operating drive, or perhaps an issue with the way the plumbing is rigged that is causing one drive to operate slower than the other.

I know it is annoying (mine aren't perfectly matched either), but I just remember which drive is slower and I don't hold the other switch down all the way when I'm adjusting trim. To me that seems to make a lot more sense than getting frustrated chasing the problem, rebuilding rams, building new lines, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
No. All they do is tell where the drive is. Those stock type sending units aren't very accurate either. Also you need to be sure the sending units are in sync with each other. To accurately tell what's going on you need trim indicators.They use a cable from the drive to a guage on the helm to tell you exactly where the drives are. If they are getting out of sync while raising or lowering then the trim system is working better on one of the drives than the other.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

I have a few of these trim sensors laying around that are new. I have never had any luck with the accuracy of those things either. I use to locktite the hinge bolts also. At times they will move one way or the other throwing off the sensors big time. I always end up running by the seat of my pants. Not always the right way though. I am going to convert to the mechanical ones.

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-12-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I have a few of these trim sensors laying around that are new. I have never had any luck with the accuracy of those things either. I use to locktite the hinge bolts also. At times they will move one way or the other throwing off the sensors big time. I always end up running by the seat of my pants. Not always the right way though. I am going to convert to the mechanical ones.

If you want to off a pair of these for less than I'm going to pay for them, let me know. The main reason I need a set is because my limit switches are toast, and i now have to use the trailer setting to trim the drives.