Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Has anyone personally installed a GM Marine 502 Base engine? >

Has anyone personally installed a GM Marine 502 Base engine?

Notices

Has anyone personally installed a GM Marine 502 Base engine?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Hello,

I reworked the heads and I drilled out the heads for 7/16 /7 16 arp studs NOT the 3/8 to 7/16 studs. Installed new springs , heavy duty 10 deg retainers and locks felpro 1075 mls head gaskets and arp head bolts gm performance roller rockers Bigger camshaft 228 /238 @ 50 lift 601 on both

send me your e mail and I will gladly send you pics of my tear down and buil up
I would love to see the pic's.
Was the cam a custom grind?

[email protected]
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be very carefull who you buy from, as GM does NOT warranty the engines, that is handled thru the seller, and if they are slim....hope you have no problems...I found all this out when I bought a pair of new 454's...Rob
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I would love to see the pic's.
Was the cam a custom grind?

[email protected]
I will send them later today. I deal with ultradyne billet racing cams. Talk to Tim Goolsby there the cam I'm running is like between the crane 731 and 741 grinds that alot of guys run
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

havent installed yet, i am wondering about the distribtor gear too. Im going to a 502 from a gen 6 454 330hp non mag motor. it comes with a new balancer on it.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,
I bought Brand new GM long Block from 1800runsnew last year and disassembled it down to a short block and yes they do use the best parts GM performance sells. They do use stainless intake and Inconel exhaust valves

Here are the specs on the cylinder Heads
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1063C50.aspx

The intake valves are stainless part # 14097045 2.19in Intake Valve
The exhaust valves are a GM Inconel part#14097049 1.88in Exhaust Valve

Timing chain
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P244C28.aspx

Crank shaft part# 10114186 Crankshaft Gen. V & Gen VI (1053 Steel) 10114186
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...6-P109C27.aspx

Piston ring pack is a JE700 piston This 502 standard, pressed pin, high performance piston has a 8.75:1 compression ratio. Use with all 502, 8.2L engines (compression base on 199cc head). Note included with this piston is ring package PN 12524293
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...07-P93C26.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...93-P95C26.aspx

Rods 7/16
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...2-P103C26.aspx

I reworked the heads and I drilled out the heads for 7/16 /7 16 arp studs NOT the 3/8 to 7/16 studs. Installed new springs , heavy duty 10 deg retainers and locks felpro 1075 mls head gaskets and arp head bolts gm performance roller rockers Bigger camshaft 228 /238 @ 50 lift 601 on both

send me your e mail and I will gladly send you pics of my tear down and buil up
Rockfish, what distrbitor did you run, i have my old merc from my old 98 454 330 hp i think it was a roller came motor, do i need a different gear for the 502 cam?? What kind of cam does the 502 base motor come with, i know its roller....Also what did you do with the bypass valves on the filter boss??
Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

The filter pad has two bypass's you need to remove the one in the center and leave it out the one that is offset on the filter pad is for oil filter bypass circuit you need to remove it too. Then you need to buy a 30 psi valve this one below or you can plug it so all the oil will go through the filter you need to run at least number -10 or -12 oil lines and more than likey a bigger cooler and a oil temp gauge is a must you want to measure the oil going back to the engine
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=113140
or you can tap and plug it you have to do one other or you will gernad your engine do a search here for oil bypass valve and read up on it. right now if your engine has the two bypass valves installed they are only a 11 psi valves and what happens then you will bypass your cooler do to the 11 psi valves
Detailed Description
Gen V & Gen VI Big Block Chevy Engines & All GM Performance Parts 454 & 502 crate engines use two of these bypass valves. Location for oil filter bypass valve is adjacent to oil filter nipple on oil filter mounting pad, Location for second valve (For oil cooler bypass) is above oil filter nipple in block on filter mounting pad. If a cooler is not connected to the oil cooler ports on the oil pan rail, the second valve is not needed. Engines using a sandwich adapter between the block and oil filter to connect a remote oil cooler must use GM # 25161284 oil filter bypass valve (in the location adjacent to oil filter nipple) to compensate for higher system backpressure.

Used on Gen V & VI engines when running an external oil cooler with a sandwich adapter between the block & oil filter. The 30 Lb valve compensates for the restriction caused by running an external cooler. Used in the location adjacent to the oil filter nipple on the oil filter pad.

Last edited by Rockfish71; 01-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ballon78
Rockfish, what distrbitor did you run, i have my old merc from my old 98 454 330 hp i think it was a roller came motor, do i need a different gear for the 502 cam?? What kind of cam does the 502 base motor come with, i know its roller....Also what did you do with the bypass valves on the filter boss??
The distrbitor you have you need to make sure you have the right gear on it if your your last engine for sure had a gm factory roller cam then the gear you have is good if your running the cam that came with your new engine only. if you bought a new cam you need to tell them what you have for a gear and may have to change it some guys run the composit gear I'm running a cast iron gear old school.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered

The filter pad has two bypass's you need to remove the one in the center and leave it out the one that is offset on the filter pad is for oil filter bypass circuit you need to remove it too. Then you need to buy a 30 psi valve this one below or you can plug it so all the oil will go through the filter you need to run at least number -10 or -12 oil lines and more than likey a bigger cooler and a oil temp gauge is a must you want to measure the oil going back to the engine
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=113140
or you can tap and plug it you have to do one other or you will gernad your engine do a search here for oil bypass valve and read up on it. right now if your engine has the two bypass valves installed they are only a 11 psi valves and what happens then you will bypass your cooler do to the 11 psi valves
Detailed Description
Gen V & Gen VI Big Block Chevy Engines & All GM Performance Parts 454 & 502 crate engines use two of these bypass valves. Location for oil filter bypass valve is adjacent to oil filter nipple on oil filter mounting pad, Location for second valve (For oil cooler bypass) is above oil filter nipple in block on filter mounting pad. If a cooler is not connected to the oil cooler ports on the oil pan rail, the second valve is not needed. Engines using a sandwich adapter between the block and oil filter to connect a remote oil cooler must use GM # 25161284 oil filter bypass valve (in the location adjacent to oil filter nipple) to compensate for higher system backpressure.

Used on Gen V & VI engines when running an external oil cooler with a sandwich adapter between the block & oil filter. The 30 Lb valve compensates for the restriction caused by running an external cooler. Used in the location adjacent to the oil filter nipple on the oil filter pad.
My expert racer/engine guru says take both bypasses out, tap and plug the outerhole and run a WIX racing filter.I have the Mercury oil line adapter on my BB, be careful not to overtighten the hollow nut, the alu is very sensitive to cracking, oops. This way you will always have filtered and cooled oil without worry of getting crap inside your oiling system. my 2cents fwiw. btw, I run the K&N HP3002 oil filter @ 10.00 each from local speed shop. Cheap insurance imo.