jl amp Question. >

jl amp Question.

Notices

jl amp Question.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Default jl amp Question.

just wondering if the jl 250/1 mono amp would run a pair of 8" w3's sealed just for mid base say from 80hz and up.
thanks
john
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

john
you can call JL Audio tech support they are great. I think the guy's name is Joel (might be wrong on that).. Generally it is the same guy that answers.. I have called him once a week for the last few weeks setting up my system.

what is the impedance on the subs? 4 ohms? I think they also come in 8 ohms? if i remember correctly the 250/1 runs from 3 to 8 ohms? you will need to wire in either series or parralel to stay in the proper ohm range.

they also have a facebook page with tech answers.. try their as well..
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
john
you can call JL Audio tech support they are great. I think the guy's name is Joel (might be wrong on that).. Generally it is the same guy that answers.. I have called him once a week for the last few weeks setting up my system.

what is the impedance on the subs? 4 ohms? I think they also come in 8 ohms? if i remember correctly the 250/1 runs from 3 to 8 ohms? you will need to wire in either series or parralel to stay in the proper ohm range.

they also have a facebook page with tech answers.. try their as well..
thanks,
this is actually for a buddys boat however the subs are 4ohm and the amp can be run 2 ohm safe. the subs are rated a 250 to 500 watts. if they were the main source for base rather than mid base i would be looking at a larger amp for him however given they are more for just mid base i thought he could get away with the 250/1.
thanks for your input.
john
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

John-
If you do that you will loose stereo seperation, which you don't want to do... I wouldn't do it. If you have a song that goes from right to left those speakers will keep playing in mono. Anything below 80 Hz is non directional anything above is directional. Keep that amp for the 12" sub. Get something else for those speakers. But thats just my opinion. I'm curious what JL will tell you.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
John-
If you do that you will loose stereo seperation, which you don't want to do... I wouldn't do it. If you have a song that goes from right to left those speakers will keep playing in mono. Anything below 80 Hz is non directional anything above is directional. Keep that amp for the 12" sub. Get something else for those speakers. But thats just my opinion. I'm curious what JL will tell you.
not sure i understand completely on that one. a one channel mono amp for two 8" mid base subs that are the jl 8" w3's. what other mono amp would be good for these? just happen to talk to the jl rep and a guy from the factory the other day at extreme car adio. this question didn't really come about til after the conversation however he did mention the 8" subs for mid base would be fine for 80hz and on up. they would roll off anything much over 250hz on their own.

also empty some of your PM's if you can.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Registered

Mono amps should only be used for low Hz. Anything above 80hz should be wired in stereo. Wiring the midbases in mono will lower your percieved sound quality. Some some songs may are recorded so the guitar or voice is on the right and the sax or what ever is on the left. So the lower frequencys of the insturment will be coming from both but the rest of the frequency will be only out of one side. It will sound wierd! You've got and are getting good stuff. I would sell the mono amp and get a stereo amp for those speakers as well as the others. Only mono the sub..
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Mono amps should only be used for low Hz. Anything above 80hz should be wired in stereo. Wiring the midbases in mono will lower your percieved sound quality. Some some songs may are recorded so the guitar or voice is on the right and the sax or what ever is on the left. So the lower frequencys of the insturment will be coming from both but the rest of the frequency will be only out of one side. It will sound wierd! You've got and are getting good stuff. I would sell the mono amp and get a stereo amp for those speakers as well as the others. Only mono the sub..
gotcha,
i got involved in another project also down state. so i have two going on now.
thanks
john

ps so those two rear side eights you and i were talking about should be a full range amp. i don't know why i was thinking a mono amp for the mid base.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

don't you lose volume depth and clarity when you get out of phase too???
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think the 250/1 is enough for 3 W3's.... At least a 500/1 at minimum.

And if you're not gonna use the low pass crossover, you should at least bandpass them.... That's using the high and low pass, to play only the frequencies inbetween.

Last edited by jonyb; 01-23-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
Don't think the 250/1 is enough for 3 W3's.... At least a 500/1 at minimum.

And if you're not gonna use the low pass crossover, you should at least bandpass them.... That's using the high and low pass, to play only the frequencies inbetween.
For what John is trying to do that won't work. These are being used as Midbass and x-over at 80 hz and rolling off at 250hz. I like bandpass boxes but there big, heavy and not really ment for this type of application.

I'd suggests sealed box, then put around 150 watts to each of them. The w3's are not very effecient so their gonna like power. Then for your mids get another amp rated at 50-75 watts run it at two ohms for a total of 200-250 watts. This will give you 400 watts above 80hz and 500 watts below 80hz. The specs on your JL j2 1000 amp are 400 watts at 4 ohms, 700 watts @ 2 ohms and 1000 watts @ 1 ohms. Your W6 12 has dual 6 ohm voice coils. This will give a 3 ohm load and give you about 500 watts to the subs.

Also, I think I would stick with just 4 4 ohm mids. If you go with 8 your ohm load is going to be at either 4 ohms total or 1 ohm total. I think one set in the front and one in the back with the propper power will sound great.

Just remember there is no free lunch. 900 watts is going to want power. Your going to have to beef up the alt and probably add at least another battery. My 700 watt Orion set up would make my alt needle bounce when I had it cranked. I have a 65 amp alt. Now I'm upgrading to a 110 amp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.