500 EFI Refresh rates? >

500 EFI Refresh rates?

Notices

500 EFI Refresh rates?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI Refresh rates?

Looking to purchase a 35 Fountain. Boat has near 300 hrs on motors, all fresh water per say. I know much of this will depend on how the boat was run.

-other than hours, can you pull the computer codes to see how many hours and at what rpm's?

-how many hrs before a refresh is realistic?

-what type of money do you think to pull the drives and all and I guess you do just the top end?

I hear the 500EFI's are great motors, just want to make sure a potential deal is truly a great deal or am I out 8-10k in just minutes!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

They should be about due for a top end refresh at 300hrs. Valve job, springs, seals, head gaskets, etc. The bottom ends should fine. A leak down test will tell you a lot about healthy the engines are.
The ecm can be scanned for the number of hours and the rpms that they were run at.

I would expect about 3k per engine for top end refreshes.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
They should be about due for a top end refresh at 300hrs. Valve job, springs, seals, head gaskets, etc. The bottom ends should fine. A leak down test will tell you a lot about healthy the engines are.
The ecm can be scanned for the number of hours and the rpms that they were run at.

agreed, timing is right.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff

it's amazing how much less money refresh and other stuff are up north . down here is south florida just to pull the motor's out and put them back in would cost you 2 k .
$ 500 each way in and out x2
**** an oil cange and filter if you have it done by a builder or marina will charge you $ 150+ per motor drive are extra .
that's why my next boat will be a small single outbard just to get on the water
mike
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink BOAT= Bring On Another Thousand!

I agree with all said here. Make sure you check them out with good engine survey and plan for the top end work also.

As for the costs in Ft. Lauderdale, that's cause you guys down there have all that money and everyone who works down there is trying to get at it! There are not a lot of value priced shops down there and it's the old saying, get it while you can!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Griff pretty much nailed it on both what needs to be done and the price. Definitely have a qualified mechanic do a leak down and inspection. Give me a shout if I can help in any way. Good luck with it.
Eddie
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Your getting good advice and knowledge. As far as my personal experience goes with rebuilds your top end as Griff said is about that time and can potentially save you big bucks down the road by refreshing know. If your doing the work yourself I would think you could save $$$. Depending on how the boat was driven etc. I would consider on going through the bottom end at 500 hrs. Just personal opinion and from owning a number of boats that were driven hard yet sensably. I would for sure replace the rod and main bearings at this time if your going to pull the engines. At the very least inspect the bearings and look for any unussual wear or even detonation. Then again this just my opinion based on my personal experience.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
it's amazing how much less money refresh and other stuff are up north . down here is south florida just to pull the motor's out and put them back in would cost you 2 k .
$ 500 each way in and out x2
**** an oil cange and filter if you have it done by a builder or marina will charge you $ 150+ per motor drive are extra .
that's why my next boat will be a small single outbard just to get on the water
mike
Keep in mind its all relative. The cost of living here is lower and people don't make as much in salary for a comparable job.