Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Another boat speaker Question >

Another boat speaker Question

Notices

Another boat speaker Question

Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

endeavour you can't compare home audio to car audio.....

I do agree with the first4 sentences though.

John, as we've said before, woofers (and yes, even 6.5's) sound the best in sealed enclosures, other than what's used as a subwoofer and that can be ported. Infinite baffle speakers CAN be used in enclosures, but normal woofers can't be used as free-air.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Last edited by endeavour32; 01-30-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

OK, I think most all questions are answered. I can use a free air in an encloser. Raise the sides a touch on my boat and be sure and have tight base so I don't look like a low riding SA vessel out boom chuckaing across the water. Boom chucka boom, boom. I get it... LOL... Now I am going to build a little larger sealed because I want to sound a little SA, ight holms.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
OK, I think most all questions are answered. I can use a free air in an encloser. Raise the sides a touch on my boat and be sure and have tight base so I don't look like a low riding SA vessel out boom chuckaing across the water. Boom chucka boom, boom. I get it... LOL... Now I am going to build a little larger sealed because I want to sound a little SA, ight holms.
LOL, I don't think you need to worry about that w6 sounding boomy or your 8's for that matter. that thing is going to be clean and crisp! El' cheapo subs are boomy but then again so are fosgates and there not cheap. Your system is going to sound great, I can't wait to hear it!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

I missed the post where you were talking about free-airing your mid-ranges. I assumed you were talking about free-airing your subs. Honestly I don't see an issue with running the mids without a box.. They would sound a touch better in one but IMO not worth the hassle.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I missed the post where you were talking about free-airing your mid-ranges. I assumed you were talking about free-airing your subs. Honestly I don't see an issue with running the mids without a box.. They would sound a touch better in one but IMO not worth the hassle.
My son had to laugh when reading my post today. I have to find some specs for 12w6 sub box. Nonported, sealed. Do you have an idea what they typically taylor these subs to or the the type of base. With a plenty of power is it best to stick with the recommended size or can you alter it slightly for your specific needs. I was thinking of a tad larger on the box to have it slightly on the looser side so to speak but don't want to kill the sub either.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Registered

My son had to laugh when reading my post today. I have to find some specs for 12w6 sub box. Nonported, sealed. Do you have an idea what they typically taylor these subs to or the the type of base. With a plenty of power is it best to stick with the recommended size or can you alter it slightly for your specific needs. I was thinking of a tad larger on the box to have it slightly on the looser side so to speak but don't want to kill the sub either.
Call JL and they will give you the exact specs. Ask them if they suggest stuffing the box with anything. This sometimes will improve the quality of the bass. I'm pretty sure they will just tell you to leave it empty.

I feel your pain with your stereo questions. I'm all over the place right now in regards to my engine build. 439, 468, 496? I'd like to have a high reving 439 I just think it would be a fun motor but some people are dead set I won't be happy? I need to call mandara monday and see if he's sure and can do 500 hp and 500 +tq? Either way I need this project DONE!

Last edited by endeavour32; 01-30-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Call JL and they will give you the exact specs. Ask them if they suggest stuffing the box with anything. This sometimes will improve the quality of the bass. I'm pretty sure they will just tell you to leave it empty.

I feel your pain with your stereo questions. I'm all over the place right now in regards to my engine build. 439, 468, 496? I'd like to have a high reving 439 I just think it would be a fun motor but some people are dead set I won't be happy? I need to call mandara monday and see if he's sure and can do 500 hp and 500 +tq? Either way I need this project DONE!
I just sent you a PM
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

jl posts the recommended sealed & enclosure specs (dimensions) & tune frequency on the website for each sub.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=4
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jl 12w6 sounds great in 2 cubic feet ported. The tuning of the box depends on where you are going to put the encloser. I have done lots of these in boats. Tell me your setup and I'll help you get the best bang for your buck. Also if your trying to get a great sounding mid and high there are only two speakers worth buying. One is the Rockford 8" marine spkr or if you have the pocket book I would do the focal8" polyglass they have unbaleavable mid bass. Hope this helps.