stereo/amp question >

stereo/amp question

Notices

stereo/amp question

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Default stereo/amp question

Just wonder how much a 4 ohm tweeter would actually drop the ohms. Say for instance if you have an amp that will be stable at 2 to 4 ohm and your running a 4 ohm speaker what would the ohms be if you ad a tweeter parallel. Would it even drop much at all?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

2- 4 ohm speakers in parallel will net a 2 ohm load and you power will almost double.

Are you running components?

Also put a 4700 microfarad capacitor in line on the + to the tweeter to crossout the low frequency.

Last edited by Rookie; 01-26-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
2- 4 ohm speakers in parallel will net a 2 ohm load and you power will almost double.

Are you running components?

Also put a 4700 microfarad capacitor in line on the + to the tweeter to crossout the low frequency.
Thanks,
I wasn't sure if a tweeter would drop the ohms in half. jl m770's and was wondering about an additional tweeter.

Also a friend is asking me about mb quart amps for his highs. Are they any good?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you put a capacitor on the tweeter (to cut the bass)there is no direct electrical connection. Therefore i have never counted the impedance of the tweeter. I would just calculate the midrange woofer and go from there. Been hooking them up like that for 20 years and never had a problem with an amp or tweeter due to impedance issues. I would use a 3.3 at 100 volt to cut the bass. Then run an electronic crossover at 80 hz for the mids and sub you are good to go.

Last edited by bobsbillets; 01-26-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobsbillets
When you put a capacitor on the tweeter (to cut the bass)there is no direct electrical connection. Therefore i have never counted the impedance of the tweeter. I would just calculate the midrange woofer and go from there. Been hooking them up like that for 20 years and never had a problem with an amp or tweeter due to impedance issues. I would use a 3.3 at 100 volt to cut the bass. Then run an electronic crossover at 80 hz for the mids and sub you are good to go.
That's kind of what I was thinking. If the tweater's don't come with there own capacitor I will use the above. The main reason I ask is because I may be running an amp at 2 ohm and just wanted to make sure if I ended up running an additional tweeter, tweeters, that it wouldn't drop the ohms very much.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the M770's you won't need extra tweeters.....