MSD..... marine or no..?? >

MSD..... marine or no..??

Notices

MSD..... marine or no..??

Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Question MSD..... marine or no..??

Has anybody used the MSD-6AL over the marine MSD 6m-2L..??? does the 6AL stand up to the marine environments..??
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the MSD Digital 6 Plus box (Pn 6520) since Oct 2006.. no issues yet.. (Knock on wood)..
Also run MSD crank trigger, MSD Pro-Billet distributor. MSD Starter. and lock timing out at 34..
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Using them for the past 6 years. Pro billet dist. 6M and rev box. No issues. Freshwater applications on mine...
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
Has anybody used the MSD-6AL over the marine MSD 6m-2L..??? does the 6AL stand up to the marine environments..??
Wouldn't recommend it . I had a piece break off the circuit board in one and left me stranded. The marine version is filled with a polyurethane resin to keep moisture out and everything in place. It's worth the $150 more.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running a 6al box in mine for 10 yrs,never a issue! their all waterproof at some point,i also have a 6al boxunder the hood of my truck mounted to the fan shroud for the past 13+ yrs,itsbeen trough all the salt,rain,snow and no issues.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Been running a 6al box in mine for 10 yrs,never a issue! their all waterproof at some point,i also have a 6al boxunder the hood of my truck mounted to the fan shroud for the past 13+ yrs,itsbeen trough all the salt,rain,snow and no issues.
On the 6AL non marine box the bottom is only riveted to the main case by 4 rivets on the corners. There is no kind of seal whats so ever between the 2.There is no way they could ever be considered water proof. The marine version is completely potted with polyurethane resin so there is no way the circuit board or any of the parts inside can get wet and are secure from vibration and shock. My 6AL failed from shock and vibration in the middle of the first season on the boat. Replaced it with the 6m and have had no problems for 8 years now.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by picklenjim
On the 6AL non marine box the bottom is only riveted to the main case by 4 rivets on the corners. There is no kind of seal whats so ever between the 2.There is no way they could ever be considered water proof. The marine version is completely potted with polyurethane resin so there is no way the circuit board or any of the parts inside can get wet and are secure from vibration and shock. My 6AL failed from shock and vibration in the middle of the first season on the boat. Replaced it with the 6m and have had no problems for 8 years now.
Like i said some what waterproof! you must have got a lemon..mines not mounted on the engine,its mounted on the transom away from the vibrations..maybe thats why its lasted so long....Per the tech at msd he told me that all the msd components in the box's are sealed in polyurethane..
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Wouldn't recommend it . I had a piece break off the circuit board in one and left me stranded. The marine version is filled with a polyurethane resin to keep moisture out and everything in place. It's worth the $150 more.

Only bad thing with that is that if the box fails, there is no repairing it. It is now a throw away item.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Like i said some what waterproof! you must have got a lemon..mines not mounted on the engine,its mounted on the transom away from the vibrations..maybe thats why its lasted so long....Per the tech at msd he told me that all the msd components in the box's are sealed in polyurethane..
Mine's mounted on the transom also, same place the first one was mounted. Works well there, out of the way. After reading your post I went out to the garage and got down that old box and your right, it looks like they dipped the entire circuit board with all the componets on it in polyurethane. I don't know if you could ever have one of those fixed either.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered

Ive had both 6m's and 6al's. track records for both for me is about the same. They work most of the time, but sometimes they just fry on you for no apparant reason. I have friends that have had more 6m problems and replaced with 6al and lived.

My experience is use either one of them and either run a ready to run dist. as your mag pickup so that it can be jumpered in the event of a failure or, what I do is keep a spare box in the boat and wire the box with a quick connect harness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.