Distributor gear question 454 to 502. >

Distributor gear question 454 to 502.

Notices

Distributor gear question 454 to 502.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ballon78
Eddie I have the GM Melonized gear, and tried to install it, but its was so tight the distributor wouldn't even turn. If I remove the stock shim then its good, but I cant run the distributor with out that shim.....What should the shaft end play be set at for a minimum. I ended up puting the stock gear back on and orderd a brand new merc gear to put on this weekend. How come my old motor which was a 330hp 454 with a roller cam can run the stock Thunderbolt V merc gear and the 502 gm base can't. Is the 330hp cam non magnum roller cam not a one piece billet like the 502 cam.??
They do take the same gear. I sent you a pm on how to fix the endplay.
Eddie
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Learn something new every day, even at 48 years young.

I would be scared to count how many cams I have changed and ran the same gear. I am surprised Bob M. never mentioned it, because that is the reason I wanted have always ordered cast gears to use the same gear on my old distr...
Me too. I have never replaced a dist gear with a cam swap unless it showed some significant wear. Makes sense though, since everything develops wear patterns.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Obviously, a used gear possibly can live on a new cam. Plenty people have done it. However, I can not tell you how many I have seen them wipe out the gear in 2 hours or less. It has happened to me as well in the past. I could maybe attribute others to someone doing something wrong, but I know I didn't do anything wrong. I loaded them up with the same Moly lube I always use on new gears, and they still got wiped out. Learned it the hard way. You may be able to get away with it, but I will never take that chance again. It is not worth having to take an engine apart over a $50 gear.
Eddie