STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572

Notices

STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572

Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillK
Mange,
There are plenty of steel caps available but before you buy them, make certain that you have a machine shop that can properly install them. The front four are generally not an issue for a well equipped automotive machine shop, but the rear cap definitely needs some different equipment to machine the thrust bearing surfaces correctly.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Hi Bill,
I do know we have to "line hone" the new caps together with the block. We have a pretty good machine shop doing these kind of jobs for us. If I can buy these caps from your place it whould be great
If so, shoot me a PM please.

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I agree with Bill K. You cant simply bolt on a set of billet main caps. The caps and the block need to be machined. Most machine shops dont have the proper equipment to do it correctly. In fact, there is only 1 guy around here who does. When I build an engine that I want billet caps for, I just order it from Dart that way. In your case, since you have the block already, you need to find someone capable and experienced to do it for you.
Here is a picture of my Dart block with billet caps...

The thing is that I'll try to save some time for my engine builder (a very good friend of mine) and that's
why I started this thread

Thanks to both of you guys!!

Mange
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try Pro-Gram engineering in Ohio. I believe they make billet replacement caps for all Gen 4 thru Gen 6 style big blocks.
I've used their caps for other apps and have been very pleased with the quality and fit.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mange
Hi Bill,
I do know we have to "line hone" the new caps together with the block.
Mange,
It is not simply a matter of "align honing" the caps. The new caps will have to be align BORED first and the rear cap will have to have the thrust surfaces also machined, unless you just use the front 4 caps and leave the stock one in the back.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
Mange,
It is not simply a matter of "align honing" the caps. The new caps will have to be align BORED first and the rear cap will have to have the thrust surfaces also machined, unless you just use the front 4 caps and leave the stock one in the back.
Bill,
These guys do all the machine jobs http://www.motorteknik.se/en/index.html
I ordered caps from Pro Gram
Old 06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now tried both email and calling Pro-gram - the email adress doesn't work and no one's answering the phone.

Does anyone know of someone who might have a set of Pro-Gram billet steel main caps for a GM ZZ572 tall block with casting #: 24502506B, one piece rear main seal, splayed style center caps at 16 degrees..

OR someone else who offers billet steel main caps for high horse power.

I contacted Oliver but they do not offer main caps any more, and the ones they were offering were from Pro-Gram.

Can someone please help us out here!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin
I have now tried both email and calling Pro-gram - the email adress doesn't work and no one's answering the phone.

Does anyone know of someone who might have a set of Pro-Gram billet steel main caps for a GM ZZ572 tall block with casting #: 24502506B, one piece rear main seal, splayed style center caps at 16 degrees..

OR someone else who offers billet steel main caps for high horse power.

I contacted Oliver but they do not offer main caps any more, and the ones they were offering were from Pro-Gram.

Can someone please help us out here!
Thanks Tomas

Is there any of the OSO bro's who knows Ken @ Pro Gram engineering in OH?

Thanks for any help

Mange
Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default steel caps

for your HP range steels on 1 through 4. however as the others have mentioned the block will need to go to the shop for fitment. secondly, an internally balanced crank on stubbed stock caps will work quite well too but will require at the minimum line hone. Steel caps are not plug-n-play. I have caps available for the gen iv through gen vi blocks and have the necessary machinary to refit caps, however the cost of caps and fitment is almost the same as buying a block already prpared by one of the after market mfg ie. dART Big M.

Best of luck

PM if there is interest.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Orderd the main caps in feb and delivery in august. What ever.
Now the job progress moving forward again

A little problem is that I sold the boat last week (less engine) so if somebody has a fast custom single hull for sale shoot me a PM.
One of these 5-6 32 Activator's would be nice....

Thanks for help and advice regarding the main caps

//Mange

Here's a "mock up" with the chiller, the adapter from "WMDC" (boardmember Tomas Wallin design) and the new 4.2L screw
Attached Thumbnails STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572-4.2l.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered

Here's the caps from Pro Gram bolted to the block.
The rods are from Auto Verdi and pistons are Venolia.
Attached Thumbnails STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572-prog1.jpg   STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572-prog2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Some pics of the "new" engine's top section.
Don't mind the block, we just use an old trash tall deck block as a mockup.
Attached Thumbnails STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572-prog3.jpg   STEEL main caps for Chevy zz572-prog4.jpg