Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
This engine versus a 496HO - Which way would you go? >

This engine versus a 496HO - Which way would you go?

Notices

This engine versus a 496HO - Which way would you go?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This engine versus a 496HO - Which way would you go?

Looking for opinions on this engine package for our boat.

I know that Mercury is a popular choice but i just wanted to get some opinions on a GM Marine engine package that looks like it might be pretty decent. Please take a look at the pictures and specs at the bottom and tell me what you think.

There are a number of race teams running these and they have logged a lot of time in the water with these motors over the last 1.5 years. Panther the company that has these told me they have over 6000 hours combined between all of the test boats with no major problems.

Please post your thoughts on this package. Since the 496 HO is not available much longer and the 525EFI is so expensive this seems like a great alternative.

The boat i would be putting it into is a 2008 Magic Deckboat thats 28 feet and about 5500 pounds. I have an XR drive already so just needing a power plant.

Here are some pics and specs below.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that 28 foot deck boat and your usage that small block engine even with full time supercharging will not be enough engine for that boat.

We have powered several of these Magic unpowered deckboats and you will need a minimum of a 496MAG HO engine for the low rpm torque needed and the long engine life reliability you will need. We can build you a 525HP 496 with Raylar upgrades for about $18,500 with a 1 year warranty and add the header manifolds installed for another $2500 and you'll have a 570HP 496 that will really handle that 28 foot deck boat. How do we know, we've done a few!

In reading their add looks just slightly suspect as GM Powertrain who sells these engines to various marine engine distributors does not warranty any of these engines for marine performance use. If they do its news here. Have them give you GM's actual warranty statement on this engine for marine use. You might be surprised.

Looks like a nice package they have created although the torque number to be correct at 3800 rpms would mean this 368 cubuc inch engine would have to be in boost at that rpm which is your cruise rpm range to produce that torque number. If you run around in a performance boat or otherwise of your size at a constant supercharged boost level, the engine life will be seriously shortened and the fuel comsumption will be a problem also. This is why to get 500 ft/lbs plus torque for marine performance engines at cruise rpms out of boost, the cubic inches must be up in the 450-500 cubic inch range, not 368 cubic inches of a short stroke high rpm engine! This small block engine even supercharged and lite in weight will not be enough of a grunt producer to properly power your 28 foot Magic deck boat.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 02-11-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

I agree with Ray that a big block is the way to go on a 28ft boat with a single engine, but that would be a very cool package in a twin engine small block application like some of the Donzi boats. I love the LS platform motors, nice to see a marine package LS ready to go.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

non-racing mercruiser engines (the black ones) are nothing more than GM marine engines with mercruiser accesories bolted on.
only the racing mercs (the blue ones) are actually built by mercruiser.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
I agree with Ray that a big block is the way to go on a 28ft boat with a single engine, but that would be a very cool package in a twin engine small block application like some of the Donzi boats. I love the LS platform motors, nice to see a marine package LS ready to go.
A big big block like a 572 or 598 NA would be good in a 28' single.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with raylar GM does NOT warranty any of it's marine engines, thats left to the marinizer, found out the hard way and if they are a POS you have nothing !!, so I would be suspect after reading the ad, and yes you need torque, don't be fooled by H/P #'s...very deceiving
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

Just thought i would post an update. I picked up a Mercury Racing 525EFI from an insurance deal (Stolen) for $12000.00 out the door. It is a complete package minus drive with only 42 hours on it. I already have a XR Drive so my search is over.

They fired it for us and it sounds great. Had a Mercury tech in Phoenix check it out and he gave it a thumbs up.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Does anyone have an opinion on a good motor set up for the Donzi 22 classic? I am looking to do a repower on a project boat. I wanted to stay light but I also know this boat can handle a BBC. Looking for dependable HP! Panther looks like a good fit but I am interested to see what others have to say...
Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4shore
Does anyone have an opinion on a good motor set up for the Donzi 22 classic? I am looking to do a repower on a project boat. I wanted to stay light but I also know this boat can handle a BBC. Looking for dependable HP! Panther looks like a good fit but I am interested to see what others have to say...
Build something out of a 502/540 base. NA, good heads and exhaust, mild cam and you will have a lot of reliable hp.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick w Factory Mercury Power. You'll have access to parts Nationwide and you'll stay on the water more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.