switchable mufflers >

switchable mufflers

Notices

switchable mufflers

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switchable mufflers

Does anyone have any direct experience with switchable type mufflers. I'm not talking silent choice or captains call thru hub type, but rather switchable at the muffler like Hardin's. I need a set of mufflers for my 540's. I currently have CMI full time mufflers and they are way too quiet. I still need to be quiet in the marina, and for the "sound police", but hey, I paid lots of money to have big power, I am not going to hide it behind a set of CMI sound eliminators.
Anybody using a set of switchables with good results ?????

Anybody want to buy a set of 4 CMI mufflers with one season on them ?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Gaffrig switchables on 540s...Love them.....Marinas Love them
Old 02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Doc,
I would be interested in one set if you are willing to split.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Doc, same problem here, let me know what you use.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

John,
I will list them here as soon as I decide what they will be replaced with. They are great quality, and meet the WI sound laws. I just like the sound of twin BBC's and am willing to chance it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

I looked at the gaffrigs, but switchable's are illegal in WI, so I would like to conceal that fact. Hardin makes two versions, the Tomahawk, wich looks like an external muffler, and another set that looks like straight exhaust tips. Both actuate from inside the transom, so it will not be terribly obvious to the sound police that they are switchables.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Registered

Doc..

yeah.. let me know when you decide to sell them and what you want for them.. I would love to grab a set from ya

John
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I had switchable bolt ons, the only problem is that if you dont turn them off, anything over 3500rpm increases the chance of blowing an exhaust gasket. If you roll through a marina or no wake zone and get up on plane, then realize you didnt turn them off/open you may not blow one out the first few times but it eventually blew 2 gaskets out in mine.

Just my 2cents...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctor_ratz
Does anyone have any direct experience with switchable type mufflers. I'm not talking silent choice or captains call thru hub type, but rather switchable at the muffler like Hardin's. I need a set of mufflers for my 540's. I currently have CMI full time mufflers and they are way too quiet. I still need to be quiet in the marina, and for the "sound police", but hey, I paid lots of money to have big power, I am not going to hide it behind a set of CMI sound eliminators.
Anybody using a set of switchables with good results ?????

Anybody want to buy a set of 4 CMI mufflers with one season on them ?
Hey Doc,

I have a set of Teague swithcable exhaust on my 600SCI's that work just fine. They are perfect for the noise cops but are wide open when you switch them back. they do not bolt on the tips like yours do but are just inside the transom.

Mark
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered

Mark,
Good info. The Hardin cyclones are very similar. That is what I was thinking, but was concerned that the noise reduction wouldn't be very good when closed.
Straight thru when open is what I want. Nothing better than lighting off a pair of open exhaust engines at the local hang out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.