Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP!  My Fountain is stuck in the Nineties! >

HELP! My Fountain is stuck in the Nineties!

Notices

HELP! My Fountain is stuck in the Nineties!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My Fountain is stuck in the Nineties!

Hey All,
So I love my Fountain in every aspect but the Miami Vice color scheme is starting to get as dated as a Don Johnson sport coat. So of course these aren't your standard decals. Nothing is standard in this powerboating world is it? Anyway, the graphics seem to be laid either under the gel coat or in it. Does anyone have a recommendation on how these can be removed? Has anyone ever laid a modern graphics scheeme over top the old? Would gladly trade black for the pink and mauve! Oh it's a 95 27 foot fever.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to suggest the down n dirty version, do a Vinyl overlay. Friend of mine has a boat with the ever popular Mauve/ purple streaks and he has a black vinyl overlay on top of it. Change the scheme a little if you want, just cover up the color if you dont want to see it. Next season, change it again if you want.... im sure the vinyl supplier can draw something up for you before you apply it to the boat.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could also do a full vinyl wrap! This will allow everything from a mild to wild design at a fraction of the cost of paint!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

I thought about Vinyl but was curious how that lays over the current graphics as they are slightly raised.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Kid Cumberland
I thought about Vinyl but was curious how that lays over the current graphics as they are slightly raised.
From what i remembere fountain used imron paint for their stripe,you could wetssand the stripes off and reshoot new colors on the boat

Last edited by FIXX; 02-14-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Check this link: http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/sp...r/paint96.html

Says the graphics are imron.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered

I'm going to the vinyl wrap shop this Friday. Like you I have a Miami Vice striped Formula I let you know this weekend.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

OK---first post---I've been reading for a while---good forum---this one made me think a little---I have the normal dark blue stripe-6" over the rubrail and 1 ft below--I painted it years ago and it has faded back to where it was before and now with some gel cracks I don't want to bother with paint---would it look OK to just lay vinyl over it ???? Thanks Steve
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have a wrap on my 42 but make sure you wet sand the boat... I have a friend who did one and you can see the underlaying graphics. I was lucky and it was solid white so no prep really required.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by backwaterdawg
OK---first post---I've been reading for a while---good forum---this one made me think a little---I have the normal dark blue stripe-6" over the rubrail and 1 ft below--I painted it years ago and it has faded back to where it was before and now with some gel cracks I don't want to bother with paint---would it look OK to just lay vinyl over it ???? Thanks Steve
first off, welcome to OSO!

To answer your question, laying vinyl right over paint is done all the time but the thing to remember is that vinyl will usually show imperfections in the surface it is being applied to. If you have cracks in the gelcoat, it may or may not show in the vinyl. Best thing to do is put your hands on a small piece of vinyl and apply it on the cracks. Atleast this will give you an idea if it will be real noticable or not

Thanks
Jim