Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lifter Valley Oil Splash shield on 502 carb?? >

Lifter Valley Oil Splash shield on 502 carb??

Notices

Lifter Valley Oil Splash shield on 502 carb??

Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lifter Valley Oil Splash shield on 502 carb??

Do i have to run one??

putting the intake on my gen 6 502 stock with a gm dual plane intake and wondering if people are using an oil valley splash shield in there motors? I really dont want to use it because i dont like how the gaskets/ intake sits on the heads with the splash shield. The tabs on the shield hold the intake up, so i tried to modify the intake gaskets to clear the shield tabs but its didnt work so good as i need to remove to much material to make it work.

Did the carb 502 come with the splash shields??? I am converting a 502 MPI to carb so the MPI had the shield, but i dont want to re-install if i dont have too.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you can assemble without the shield,but it is made to keep the hot oil from the underside of the manifold.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use the shield. Notch the gaskets to clear the tabs. It will help keep the intake cooler.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by doctor_ratz
I would use the shield. Notch the gaskets to clear the tabs. It will help keep the intake cooler.
I did notch but the center tabs make it so i needed to knotch the center of gasket and when i notched it it made it so that oil can now fill up the little pocket under the exhaust cross overs.

did 502 carbs ever come with this shield and what gaskets did mercruiser use.....none of the parts fieche show a oil shield..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
VIP Member

That shield was used on all Gen V and Gen VI motors, carbed or EFI.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Oil Splash plate trick

I'll give you one of Raylar's and other engine builders little secret tricks to also make sure the oil splash shield stays in place on a GM hydraulic lifter engine such as the Gen 5 & 6 454 -502 engines.
We use three longer bolts with bushings that hold down the lifter retainer plate and they sit just touching the bottom surface of the splash plate when its installed. Many have sometimes found that with the hard hits high performance boats take when running that the splash plate can come dislodged and drop down and come in contact with the pushrods and when it does it makes a hell of a lot of awful noise and can also create a bad condition in the lifter valley especially at high rpms. This extended bushing and bolt trick will support the plate in such a way that it cannot come loose and create problems.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
I'll give you one of Raylar's and other engine builders little secret tricks to also make sure the oil splash shield stays in place on a GM hydraulic lifter engine such as the Gen 5 & 6 454 -502 engines.
We use three longer bolts with bushings that hold down the lifter retainer plate and they sit just touching the bottom surface of the splash plate when its installed. Many have sometimes found that with the hard hits high performance boats take when running that the splash plate can come dislodged and drop down and come in contact with the pushrods and when it does it makes a hell of a lot of awful noise and can also create a bad condition in the lifter valley especially at high rpms. This extended bushing and bolt trick will support the plate in such a way that it cannot come loose and create problems.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
So do you just cut and remove the tabs that are suspose to hold it in place and just use the bolts?? I just can believe that merc/gm doesn't have gaskets that are designed for the tabs so it does keep the intake pushed up creating a leak..

If the gen 5 and 6 came with them then then i should have the right gaskets, but no provisions for the tabs and they will leak if i install the gaskets with the tabs under them.

I was thinking about notching the left and right tabs and removing the center and then doing the bolt trick??
Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both gen V and VI apart and never seen one from the factory....have run them though...can't hurt..Rob
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM
VIP Member

I have always used Merc gskt sets and they easily clear the tabs.

What intake gaskets are you using???
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
I have always used Merc gskt sets and they easily clear the tabs.

What intake gaskets are you using???
27-805722A1 and its going on a gen 6 502 415hp carb....now most gen 6 are mpi and this use to be and it did have it in the motor when i took the mpi off. Maybe if i use the gaskets for the mpi on the carb intake...what is the difference in gaskets, shouldn't they be the same...i think they have didferent numbers though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.