Super chiller >

Super chiller

Notices

Super chiller

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super chiller

I have a dual stage sea pump. One stage I have running the engine the other stage I have plumbed for my superchiller. The engine setup has direct port fuel injection. What my question is I've heard that running water through the chiller at idle my cause a poor idle. What are your thoughts on this. I have not yet installed the setup so it can be changed. Thanks for the input
Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stoltz
I have a dual stage sea pump. One stage I have running the engine the other stage I have plumbed for my superchiller. The engine setup has direct port fuel injection. What my question is I've heard that running water through the chiller at idle my cause a poor idle. What are your thoughts on this. I have not yet installed the setup so it can be changed. Thanks for the input
That's correct - most of the times. There's a carbed whippled Apache 36 here in Sweden that has a better idle with the water flowing.

Maybe Dustin Whipple/Whipple Charged might chime in since he has first hand experience in this Apache. It would be very interesting to know why these engines is the opposite to the norm.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I never put water through an intercooler at idle. I always force feed them with a transom mounted pickup. They just don't need water at idle. Also, if you ever develop a leak, it can cause a problem at idle, whereas at speed, the water can get vaporized. You can actually cool the air charge to much and force the gas out of suspension. It depends on the efficiency of the intercooler, temp of the water, etc. I don't want to take any water away from the engine. I want it to have as much as it can get. I have done it this way for 20 years and it has worked just fine. Never an issue.
Eddie
Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input. What is the point of having a daul or tripple stag sea pump. It seems as if a single stag sea pump is pleanty if your not adding anything to the plumbing
Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've asked this question of at least four different engine builders, and gotten several different answers, all with seemingly good reasoning behind them. Mr. Young's response makes a lot of sense, and will give the best idle, but opponents will point out that this configuration can result in heat soaking the cooler, followed by thermal shock when water starts flowing again as you come up on plane.

I'm having a pair of 1000's built right now, and came up with the idea of a hybrid system consisting of two check valves. One will be plumbed basically right off the strainer, and allow flow out of the strainer when the strainer pressure exceeds that of the cooling circuit, but prevent recycling water from the engine at low speeds. The second will be positioned on a tee to the normal supply, and will be shut when the strainer pressure comes up.

We plan on putting a fairly small fitting as an orifice in the normal supply to limit flow at idle to barely anything, just enough to keep things moving.

Anyway, we haven't tried this yet, and I wouldn't bring it up here unless I was willing to hear what everyone else thinks of it. Has anyone done something like this before? The plumbing adds a couple hundred bucks, but I can't see any other drawbacks.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
I've asked this question of at least four different engine builders, and gotten several different answers, all with seemingly good reasoning behind them. Mr. Young's response makes a lot of sense, and will give the best idle, but opponents will point out that this configuration can result in heat soaking the cooler, followed by thermal shock when water starts flowing again as you come up on plane.

I'm having a pair of 1000's built right now, and came up with the idea of a hybrid system consisting of two check valves. One will be plumbed basically right off the strainer, and allow flow out of the strainer when the strainer pressure exceeds that of the cooling circuit, but prevent recycling water from the engine at low speeds. The second will be positioned on a tee to the normal supply, and will be shut when the strainer pressure comes up.

We plan on putting a fairly small fitting as an orifice in the normal supply to limit flow at idle to barely anything, just enough to keep things moving.

Anyway, we haven't tried this yet, and I wouldn't bring it up here unless I was willing to hear what everyone else thinks of it. Has anyone done something like this before? The plumbing adds a couple hundred bucks, but I can't see any other drawbacks.
Since you dont have any boost at idle/low rpms the blower is not making any heat so the risk of getting a temp chock is not that substancial...
Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

I've never tried using check vavles in the cooling system before like that. I know that my last motor I overvheated the bottom ofvthe block trying to limit the amount of water going to it. So this time I've installed small lines that introduce water into the bottom of the block right fron the sea pump. But again if you are not running the sea pump to the chiller what is the point of these dual and tripple stage sea pumps. And how are people plumbing them.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

I have tried it both ways, at idle with water flowing through my super chiller engines loaded up and stalled often. I use external water pickups for my chillers, the faster I go the more water pressure and volume I get. Works great.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I never put water through an intercooler at idle. I always force feed them with a transom mounted pickup. They just don't need water at idle. Also, if you ever develop a leak, it can cause a problem at idle, whereas at speed, the water can get vaporized. You can actually cool the air charge to much and force the gas out of suspension. It depends on the efficiency of the intercooler, temp of the water, etc. I don't want to take any water away from the engine. I want it to have as much as it can get. I have done it this way for 20 years and it has worked just fine. Never an issue.
Eddie
Thats how I did mine. However, that little pick up does scrub off a little speed. Thats why the multi stage pumps are a good choice for max effort applications I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.