500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace?

Notices

500 EFI heads-freshen up or replace?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
winter, car bus is slow, doin paperwork..etc etc etc...
What kind of car business are you in?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
As Rob (Offshoredrillin) said, it all depends on what you want. If you are happy with the current power output, then just freshen them up. If you are looking for more, then go to aftermarket heads. Just keep in mind that if you go to alum. heads, then there will be some programming to be done. There are a few of us that can do it.
The weakest links in the stock setup are the exhaust valves and the head gaskets. Personally, with the time on them, I would rebuild the heads with new valves, springs, retainers, locks, seals and head gaskets. Use a good set of valves (like Manley), good springs, 10* retainers and locks (instead of the stock 7*) and a set of good head gaskets (Cometic, or similar) This is where you need to make a decision. At this point, the only additional money to go to aftermarket heads is the cost of the bare heads. You are already buying all the hardware anyway. If you decide to go to alum. heads later on, then all the money you spent on hardware for the stock heads is wasted because the alum. heads will take all different hardware. It will basically cost you about $1500 additional to go to alum. at that point. That is why I say you have to make the decision at this point.
Give me a shout if I can help in any way. Thanks
Eddie

Eddie what about aftermarket steel heads? how much better are they compared to stock,like the Iron Eagle's etc or should ya go a little more an just get the aluminum heads?

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

At that point, I would just buy the alum. If you are dead set on running cast iron (for instance,in a cruiser that will see a ton of salt water hours and doesn't come out the water to be flushed) they will make more power than the stockers. A large part of the increase you will see with the alum. heads is the bump in compression. You can't get that with the Iron Eagles and others. Some of the aftermarket iron heads will make some good power and are a great upgrade to the stockers. I just think that at that point, you should just spend the extra couple hundred to go to alum.
Eddie
Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Im figuring I could get a good set of aluminum heads ,turn down the boost alittle make it easier on the motor and make the same power and save drives better,I still have the opt for a pully change

Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Strip Poker 388;3054083]Im figuring I could get a good set of aluminum heads ,turn down the boost alittle make it easier on the motor and make the same power and save drives better,I still have the opt for a pully change[/QU

How many hours have you put on your heads since they were redone?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

[QUOTE=INDY27;3054180]
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I'm figuring I could get a good set of aluminum heads ,turn down the boost alittle make it easier on the motor and make the same power and save drives better,I still have the opt for a pulley change[/QU

How many hours have you put on your heads since they were redone?

Since Dec 3rd 2008 none but it sure is shinny nowThe comp 929 were down 7lbs,they will be due next winter.Haven't had any probs, just ck springs and relap in the seats.There a list of the leak down in 08 before I tore down in my 500efi build up thread,wasent to bad.

2007-2008 was 104 hours and thats how long my new Bmax lasted,upper gear set

I normally pull motors every winter to re polish anyway.

Rob

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other option is to modify your existing heads for power. If your going to change valves, go with the 2.300 intake. The stock heads have a piss poor grind on both intake and exhaust seats. Leave the exhaust valves at 1.88 and upgrade to a tulip design. 6% increase in airflow. Also there's a substaintual power increase by porting the stock heads. I just finished a 502 vortech upgrade that made well over 850 hp @5700 rpm with the stock heads with 6.5 lbs boost (highly modified)

Last edited by JimV; 02-24-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you guys seeing the stock iron heads having a problem with the valve seats falling out? by the way nice video jim v. really a cool setup on that eng. package
Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strip Poker
Are you saying the Comp 929 springs are down 7lbs with one season of running on them?

I just started a thread on replacing springs on my carbed 500hp. Just trying to figure out the best spring to replace stock springs with original 250 hours in my engine.
Suggestions???
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by formula377
Strip Poker
Are you saying the Comp 929 springs are down 7lbs with one season of running on them?

I just started a thread on replacing springs on my carbed 500hp. Just trying to figure out the best spring to replace stock springs with original 250 hours in my engine.
Suggestions???
4 seasons,Isky has a upgrade spring also,sorry dont have the #,stock cam put the 929's in it.I run up to 6000rpm also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.