How to get to 80 mph with a single screw

Notices

How to get to 80 mph with a single screw

Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get to 80 mph with a single screw

Hey All,
So I have a 95 27 Fountain Fever that I am trying to get another 4mph out of. Im running a stock 525SC setup and the boat tips out at 76MPH. Its seems to level off before the Chine Walkin starts so Im pretty sure I need to throttle through it a bit more to get to 80. I just did 400 Hour top end rebuild on the motor. While I did upgrade to Inconel exhaust vales and severe duty intakes I wanted to keep it all "stock". DMPE went through the blower for me. They said I was def ready for a rebuild and I also had them mill the rotors and put the teflon stripping in.

Soo. I am not really expecting that much more power from the valve job and while I should get a couple more pounds of boost from the teflon I still think I'm gonna be a couple MPH short of my goal of 80 MPH. As i mentioned I really want to keep the motor stock as possible (thats half the fun for me) so what do you guys recommend? Can I get it out of the prop? Im currently running a 4 blade prop and I'm pretty sure they already labbed that at the factory as part of the Blue Motor package. If so that was done in 95. Technology come a long way since then?

My other thought was to start messing with the blower pulley. If I do that is there anything else I need to change along with it such as fuel pressure? My understanding is that those little black Weiand blowers dont take alot of abuse...

I look to experience and appreciate the help in advance.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What rpm's are you turning at WOT?
4 blade..what degree? (most likely NOT labbed if stock from factory)
XR's? Stock lowers?
I'm sure you could turn the boost up but only some experts on here could tell you how reliable it will make your motor.

Last edited by chattviper; 02-22-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

I am already impressed if you have pushed a 27 footer to 76 wwith 525 HP. I am thinking you might be able to get more reliable power with a cam change than increasing boost. You might be able to get some with a prop, but 4MPH by a prop alone is a lot especially at the speed you are already going.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Registered

Make it lose weight. My refrigerator equipped Checkmate (true) 28 footer will only do 71.5 mph. I think with one of reggies fast hulls (which is equivalant to a 25 footer I guess) you could up the boost a little and put the boat on a diet and be at your speed goal while maintaining reliability. Synthetic oils in every thing will help with reliability. Oh, and be easy on the stick.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered

The best thing you could do is bump the compression up to 9:1. If that is not in the cards, you can go as small as about a 3" top pulley and not be spinning the blower too fast. What top pulley do you run now?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
The best thing you could do is bump the compression up to 9:1. If that is not in the cards, you can go as small as about a 3" top pulley and not be spinning the blower too fast. What top pulley do you run now?
Race gas.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Cumberland
So I have a 95 27 Fountain Fever that I am trying to get another 4mph out of.
Prop and check the bottom.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Blackhawk outdrive
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Bret at BBlades. Period. With a simple phone call to Bret(Make sure its Brett that you speak with, not his blocker), he can tell you on the phone if he can make your boat faster by working your prop. Well worth your effort. He told a friend of mine 3 to 4 MPH by lab finishing his props. Sure enough, 3.5 MPH gain over stock bravo 1's. And he didnt have to touch the engines at all! Cant say enough about BBlades/best bang for your buck!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You could go with a 120* stat, pulley change, and whatever needs to be done to the carb. You would be into less than $150. I dont see the stripping giving you much more than 1lb of boost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.