Imco WPM or Latham >

Imco WPM or Latham

Notices

Imco WPM or Latham

Old 04-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Imco WPM or Latham

I'm going to add single ram steering assy (not full hydraulic) to my 26 Sonic. I'm loking at units from IMCO, Latham and WPM.

Anybody have any preferences, etc?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 09:05 PM
B.R.S.

Marine Machine. I have put them on several boats and they work great. Install is easy too. I think they are better because the wingplate is bolted to the bellhousing and not the end of the drive. To me it just seems it would be stronger and put the stress in the bellhousing near the pivot point and not the end of the drive. The huge polished wingplates look cool too.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Blackhawkdn

I have used quite a few of IMCO's they are good, also WPM. These are the most reasonable in price.

Old 04-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a new Co. I have seen his cylinders and I have to say they look a lot better than my Lathem. I am installing there Hydraulic tilt helm the whole helm tilts taking out the joints = no play. I think his pricing is cheaper or the same as the others.
worldclassmarine.com

I just looked at his web sight for the first time guess they need to work on it here is the number 419-621-7771.

Last edited by Scott; 04-18-2002 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Full IMCO came from the factory on my 260 Prowler. I am very happy with it. I did rupture an external hydraulic hose once, and pumped all of my fluid into the Potomac in about 30 seconds trying to figure out what happend. It was due to a stressed fitting at the transom; ruptured while I had the drive way up and turning thru real shallow water. Problem fixed with new 3000psi braided hoses.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have WPM full hydraulic steering on my Fountain and I love it. I'd spend the extra $$ and go with the full setup.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Cigarette500EFI

I use IMCO and absolutely love it !!!! I would also spend the $ and go for the complete unit. You will not regret it.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:24 AM
E Z TERMS

get the hyd helm dude.....................

its more $ but it takes ALL the play out................

just adding the ram will not cause ya still have that bull**** cable..........did the same on my ill steering baja a few years ago ............

kicked my own ass for not doing it right the first time..........

plus it turned out more $ when i added the hyd helm..........

food for thought

ez

Old 04-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been happy with my system from WPM.
Attached Thumbnails Imco WPM or Latham-wpm-steering.jpg  
Old 04-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with WPM because they offer a couple of different wingplates. With the Imco and MM, the location on my transom where the cylinder mounts is right where my exhaust pipes are located. I got the WPM top mount plate and 9" cylinder and it is well above my pipes. I agree the full hydraulic set up is the way to go. Especially on a vee hull. I really think all of the mfg's mentioned make good quality stuff.

Quick Reply: Imco WPM or Latham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.