Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New 8.2L Mercruiser engine

Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    382 Fastech
    Here is some NY Boat Show Mercury propaganda for 2012 - Quoted off another website.

"Visit the Javits Convention Center on 11th avenue in New York City during the boat show to see Mercruiser’s 8.2 engines that come in 380 Hp, 430 Hp H O, 525 Hp EFI, and 700 Hp SCi variations, among the other engines on display, although not all engines are guaranteed to be at the boat show, in their booth (C-18) and installed in boats on the boat show N Y convention center exhibit floor.

These engines are based on at least two chevy engine blocks with various heads to develop their reliable marine horse power at these levels. The 380 Hp is the one that is popular in a cabin cruiser and bigger family bow riders. Its full throttle rpm range is 4,400 – 4,800 rpm and has a cam and valve train that works best for those kind of rpms. The peak power has been dyno’d at 4,200 rpm before it starts to fall off and the 430 Hp H O version exchanges some low end power compared to the 380 Hp for more clearly power over 4,000 rpm that then peaks at 4,700 – 4,800 rpm. The full throttle rpm range for the 430 Hp H O is put at 4,600 – 5,200 rpm.

A 380 Hp engine will best a 430 Hp power boat up to about 4,000 rpm, where the 430 Hp then really pulls ahead.
    XXXXXX has done a sea trial with each of these engines, and in a 7,000 lb type boat it proved hard to tell the difference between them in a pleasure boat application.

Mercury Marine uses its Merc Racing division to sell the 525 Hp EFI bumps up the power and the full throttle rpm to 4,800 – 5,200 rpm. They add even more changes to the engine parts like a different fuel injection system AND a 3.3 liter supercharger to get a rating of 700 Hp at the same full throttle rpm range of 4,800 – 5,200 rpms.
    All of these 502 cu. in. (8.2 litre) engines have a bore of 4.47 inches with a 4 inch stroke. "
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    382 Fastech
    So who has "improved" these new bad boys?

Dustin - how did that supercharged new 380 go?
    Got it sorted yet?
    How about a quick update?

I get my boat delivered in March, it has the new no cat 380's then I'll be looking at all the options to bump up the ponies a little.

Ray - Do you have an upgrade kit in development for these new engines?

Bob - got some new cams for these guys?

Anyone else?

I am still undecided whether to go SC or stay NA.
    Let's see the options.
    I'm sure many are interested.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Baja 26 Outlaw
    modified 496 is the way to go....

Registered
    My Boats:
    1996, Donzi, 22 Classic 502
    Quote Originally Posted by RFindley View Post
    modified 496 is the way to go....
    The only problem with the 496 is the bore at 4.25. A 502 based block is 4.47 and can go up to 4.5-4.6 for larger cube applications with the same crank.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1997 BAJA 232
    Hello
    I take out this older thread here to ask if there are any news about more power for the new 8.2 engines!
    I have the 380 Hp version with non cat and no DTS !
    How to get the 430 HP from an HO??
    i have checked part numbers and only the ecu is diffrent between 380 Mag and 430HP HO!! Both have same camsaft!!
    I like to change ECU,but the HO ecu is only available for engines with DTS! Will it work on my NON DTS engine?
    or can anyone reprogram this 8.2 Mag HO ecu that it works on my non dts engine?
    here you get 5 versions from it!
    8.2 Mag
    8.2 Mag DTD
    8.2 Mag HO DTS
    8.2 Mag EC DTS or NON DTS
    8.2 Mag HO EC DTS
    Real happy if anyone have some new infos about it!
    Thanks! michael
    Last edited by Brembofreak; 12-26-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Baja 26 Outlaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Pismo10 View Post
    The only problem with the 496 is the bore at 4.25. A 502 based block is 4.47 and can go up to 4.5-4.6 for larger cube applications with the same crank.
    I see the point.
    I prefer the 496 because it is cheaper to obtainand and operate being that I simply use the Raylar kit and have 511cid with the stock bore (and no machine work to the bottom end), good heads and a cam then you have a good 600+ hp/700+ lb-ft setup.

I guess the options are endless either way. But cannot wait to see if there are any go fast mods for the new Mercury 502, I suspect that it would not take much longer for Whipple or Procharger to get a hold of it.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2011 Checkmate ZT244
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembofreak View Post
    Hello
    I take out this older thread here to ask if there are any news about more power for the new 8.2 engines!
    I have the 380 Hp version with non cat and no DTS !
    How to get the 430 HP from an HO??
    i have checked part numbers and only the ecu is diffrent between 380 Mag and 430HP HO!! Both have same camsaft!!
    I like to change ECU,but the HO ecu is only available for engines with DTS! Will it work on my NON DTS engine?
    or can anyone reprogram this 8.2 Mag HO ecu that it works on my non dts engine?
    here you get 5 versions from it!
    8.2 Mag
    8.2 Mag DTD
    8.2 Mag HO DTS
    8.2 Mag EC DTS or NON DTS
    8.2 Mag HO EC DTS
    Real happy if anyone have some new infos about it!
    Thanks! michael
    Whipple now upgrades your PCM. The stage two tune nets around 85hp. You want to talk to Dustin at whipple industries.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2011 Checkmate ZT244
    Now for my situation, just asking some input and thoughts. I have a 2011 checkmate ZT244 with the 8.2 mag with cats. I currently spin a 26 pitch bravo one to 68-69mph at 4600rpm. Best I've seen with a labbed bravo 26 was 72 mph at 4800-4900rpm with a light load(labbed prop got damaged and currently running a stock 26). I am going to be getting my PCM tuned by whipple the stage two kit that adds 85 hp and sets the rev limiter at 5400 rpm. The cats will also be removed and PCM tuned for no cats. Question is what kind of numbers do you guys think I will see?

Registered
    My Boats:
    1990 eliminator
    Brembofreak. I heard only difference between the 8.2 base and Ho is the tune and there is a restrict or in the throttle body
    Last edited by Eastcoastmarine; 01-30-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Typed wrong

Registered
    My Boats:
    2011 Checkmate ZT244
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmarine View Post
    Brembofreak. I heard only difference between the 8.2 base and Ho is the tune and there is a restrict or in the throttle body
    That is correct.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast