running an oil cooler dry >

running an oil cooler dry

Notices

running an oil cooler dry

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Vinny,
Let me say that the oil temp of 180* that I was talking about is only on break in. As MER said, I shoot for operating temps of around 200 when tuning and pulling. I run water temps of about 110* All of my engines are built to run cold water temps. That gives me a margin for detonation, or on the flip side lets me get more aggressive if needed.
As for your break in, everybody has there own theories. I use to run them in on a stand, but I found that doing it on the dyno and putting the engine under a load, allows the rings to seat much faster and a little better. I'm splitting hairs here, but it is better. I also found that the oil comsumption was less after breaking it in under a load.
I think you are fine by using the syn. oil after 1 hour of run time. If the rings haven't seated well by then, they probably never will. Once the engine is broken in, then run it like you stole it. There is really no reason to take it easy on it for the first few hours. As long as you are sure that everything is OK, then run it.
Eddie