Boat lifting opinions

Notices

Boat lifting opinions

Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat lifting opinions

Good day all

I am looking at using my Dad's boat house this year as his boat is no longer using it.

I am looking at lifting a 270 Mirage. He was lifting a 28 single Chris Craft Skiff. The lift was built by him and was built very rugged, full I beams and cable but is a sling lift. I plan on going over the cable and cable size as well as the opposite lifting pulleys but I believe it has the lifting capacity.

My questions, any thing I should pay close attention to going over it as it has been out of service for a while, any structual engineeris out there?

The lift is a sling lift with about 13 foot sling spacing mind you I have to measure it again it has been a while since I was involved with it which would mean roughly lifting under the motors and the other sling around the helm area, can this boat be lifted in that fashion as it does not have a cradle?

Thanks
Mat
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most small boats are pretty tolerant of slinging. Try to line the slings up under transverse bulkheads if possible. The biggest loads are where the sling turns the corner at the chine. There should be some kind of full or partial bulkhead just forward of the helm, and the other at the foward end of the engine compartment.

You are better off hitting those bulkheads, assuming that the CG position works than slinging right under the motors due to the compression placed on the hull by the slings. The chines are usually unsupported mid-bay.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I will measure it up when I get a chance, I can not increase the sling spacing they are on the ends of the cable wrap and derceasing would move them away from the bearings which take a lot of the lifting load so I am stuck at the spacing it is at for now.

I will try and get to the bulkhead at the helm which I assume is where the cuddy starts. I will also try to get as close to the motor bulkhead as well, if I can only hit one right on and close to the other wich is best to be under the forward motor bulkhead? I might ba able to get under the transom would that be better?

Mat
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your Mirage have BBC or SBC. I had one with BBC's and it was very tail heavy. I would put that rear strap as close to the transom as you can.

Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

The mirage has twin SBC I figured the lighter SBC's might be better.

I can get it under the transom I woudl then have to measure up and figure out where the front will be after that, just don't want to compress the glass or damage the hull at all.

Mat
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be fine...The slings won't damage the boat. I would guess you would place the slings aprox. where the moter mounts are on the stringer or just behind them and the front sling near the windsheild or slightly behind it. You can bang the hull with the palm of your hand and hear a difference where there is a bulkhead.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered

Okay thanks for all the help. I will check out the cables and pulleys and give her a try in a couple months.

Spring should be great as I have not had a boat for some years now!

Mat
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also measure the boat and order the proper length slings.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered

The slings were on a 28 foot Chris Chraft Skiff, which I believe has a longer beam 10' maybe. This is 8'6" I think, is there a calculation for sling length versus distance around the beam and bottom?

I figured these would be very close.

Mat
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually measure from rubrail to rubrail and add two feet (1 ft for each side). Also make sure the cable mounts are pulling the slings away from the rubrail so you are not squeezing the sides of the boat in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.