Notices

Starboard Prop Slips

Old 04-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starboard Prop Slips

Hey Everyone!
Got a question for the gearheads.
Last weekend I was cruising along from Pentwater back to Ludington at about 45 mph, I stopped for a minute to take a picture with the engines at idle, drives in neutral, as I went to take off again, the starboard engine raced up to 4500 or so RPM while the port engine was in the 3000 rpm range, and I could barely get the boat on plane while holding the throttle back on the stbd engine- obviously something was slipping. I thought maybe the hub on my prop had slipped, but after inspection this was not the case, then I thought engine coupler( but how would this go bad after only 180 hours , and no abuse-I never run this boat hard in the rough stuff). Could the shift cable being out of adjust ment cause the clutch to slip? I am hoping this is the problem, as I would be pissed if I have to pull an engine to change the coupler!!!!
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, I'm going to check out the shift mechanism today, I need to check out the cable on my port engine anyway( this one will barely go in to reverse, something binding between the shift bracket and drive)

Thanks for any help in advance,
Paul
Old 04-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I assume you have Bravos?
The bravo clutches can indeed slip, as this is how my first drive failure took place.

Be sure about the prop hub, though. In my case it was easy to dismiss this since my props have solid hubs. Visual inspection will not reveal a slipping prop hub. You have no means by which to put sufficient torque to the prop to test the hub. The only way to test it is to swap it to the other drive.

If you have bravos, swap props and run them in reverse (the boat will go forward). If the prop from the slipping side performs fine on the other side then you do not have a prop hub problem. If the slipping drive stops slipping, then you have a problem with the clutch for the "old forward" gearset that is now finctioning as the reverse. In the meantime, you can run the boat but you should definitely plan on a rebuild of that drive ASAP. Your boat will also handle a but differently with swapped props (you may actually prefer it that way - depends on the boat).

Cable adjustment is not usually the answer, as a Bravo will still usually slam on into gear, and will hop in and out at idle, but will not slip (due to cable adjustment). Alphas are even more obvious, with the dog-slipping sound.

Got my ifngers crossed for ya.
M
Old 04-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Blackhawkdn

It is a possibility that the coupler has gone away after only 180 hrs. A cause for early death of the coupler is engine misalignment. If your coupler is bad replace it with an 500HP coupler it is much stronger. If after you check your shift cables and find these okay, your next best check is pull your back plate off the drive and check the shift clutch.

Last edited by Blackhawkdn; 04-20-2002 at 01:40 PM.

Old 04-21-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered

Default cavitation

Is your trim indicator working ok? Cavitation caused by seawead, improper trim etc. can be a huanting thing to pinpoint.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

Update:
yesterday I pulled the drive, checked the alignment, and it was perfect, no problem there, so I doubt there's a problem with the coupler, prop hub is good. I did find tha the latch that holds the shift cable to the shift mechanism in the drive is missing!! I haven't had the drive off until now, so I have to assume that it was missing at assembly, or that the previous owner had some work done on it. got the parts ordered, try the fix this week, hopefully.
Thanks for your help,
Paul
Old 04-23-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey boathead, could it be something as simple as what I have done in the past?

you were on plane, slowed to a stop, then took off again. Did you trim back in to plane off? I have more than once forgot to do this and always blow out a 3 blade 25" on my 330's (cavitate), I can't run more than 3 grand until planing off or I will blow out a prop every time. Engine runs right up to 4500 just like you mentioned. And once a prop blows out, I can't hook it up again no matter what i do with that engines throttle, or plan off on one engine, i have to STOP, trim in, and START OVER.

just a thought, maybe the brain was slipping from a long winter season.

hey, If that was it, then NOTHING IS BROKE..... YES!!

A fellow michigander waiting for summer to return.
glad you got out
Old 04-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

How did you determine that it was not the hub slipping?

Do you have the square rubber hub or the pressed in round rubber hub.

G

Last edited by cigarette1; 04-23-2002 at 01:43 PM.