adding oil cooler help >

adding oil cooler help

Notices

adding oil cooler help

Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding oil cooler help

i just bought an oil cooler should i put it in line before the oil filter or after. its a 12 inch mercury oil cooler. its going on a procharged scarab 22 sbc. the procharger runs off the aux port on the oil filter. i figured before the oil filter as the oil will be cooler for the blower.

thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand your thinking, however, consider these few things. Usually, you want the filter first to catch any metal before it goes into the cooler should you have an engine failure. I know no one plans on having an engine break, but it does happen occasionally The coolers are very difficult, if not implossible, to get clean after a failure. I also would not rob oil from the engine's bottom end. You may want to consider taking the oil for the supercharger from a port on the block. You can take the oil out after it has lubricated the bottom end. There is a sufficient amount of oil going to the top end to allow you to rob it there. I just like to get all the oil I can to the bottom end. Just a few things to consider. Hope this helps.
Eddie
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Cool Thanks But Where Is The Oil Port On The Block Where I Can Run That Oil Cooler On Also I Run My Blower Off Of The Oil Filter Third Port Should I Chang That?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's used, put it before the filter, new can go after.
also plumb it so that the water and oil flow in opposite directions.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Yes It Is Used But Came From A Fresh Water Boat So Its Like New Also The Oil Area Looked Super Clean But That Doesnt Mean Any Thing. Why Do You Run Them The Opposite Direction Of Each Other?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boosted22
Yes It Is Used But Came From A Fresh Water Boat So Its Like New Also The Oil Area Looked Super Clean But That Doesnt Mean Any Thing. Why Do You Run Them The Opposite Direction Of Each Other?
The oil and water flowing in opposite directions help with the cooling. Have you thought about a after market oil filter mount. The units from Teague and Hardin have plenty of ports for extra oil to the blower.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Definiety before the filter. Flush it out as good as possible, carb cleaner & air.
Heat transfer will be more efficient if they flow in opposite directions. If you REALLY want to know why, I can explain later.
Originally Posted by boosted22
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

thank you for all the help will have it installed this weekend first time out in a year new set up 8 lbs of boost and new intake i will get it all finished up and post some vids.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

I would run to the filter first then the oil cooler. Reason being the oil is hotter and filtered easier, then to the cooler and into the engine. Run an adapter to a remote filter housing and into cooler to engine supply. my 2cents
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered

procharger reccomends going to the filter housing so no chit gets into the blower bearings if the motor granades,thats the way mine are set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.