Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler

Notices

Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler

Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool
Twin Spins: Unless you get air in the line (cavitation), too much oil can only turn into a knife and erode and eventually destroy the inside of the tubes inside of the cooler. But that's pretty high flow, not realistic in most cases. Higher volumes max out the cooling saturation of the cooler design. And Rage gave his water and oil flows early on and it was fine. So I still think it's something different.

I sent Rage a PM with more information which I will post probably tomorrow. I have someone checking my logic before posting.

My opinion/What I'm thinking: corrosion or poor operation of the thermostat so it is getting excessive bypass, crud blocking flow in the cooler oil side, or aluminum oxide on the cooler inside. That oxide can be removed with toilet bowl cleaner left in the cooler for a couple of hours (clean first of course).

The cooler design is fine. It's something else. Rage: What's your next step?

Do what I said in PM for the stat first and clean it off. Or, if you pay the shipping, I'll send you a new one just to see if it fixes it. Note we're a competitor, so this isn't warranty.

Russ
Russ,

Thanks for all the thought you have put into providing direction to solving my problem....especially for a competitor's product no less.. Admirable.

The Hardin Marine unit was purchased new from a boat dealer who apparently had it sitting on his shelf forever and posted it on Ebay. The unit is all brass and copper construction except I guess is silver solder holding it together. It had a lot of green copper oxidation on the exterior which I cleaned and painted black. I do not know where aluminum oxide could come from since no aluminum components appear to be present.
I could see the thermostat spring and guts inside the housing and it appeared clean and uncorroded subject to confirmation. I thermocoupled the oil bypass tube and it did seem to maintain the ~190F setting when the engine oil temperature was much hotter than that.

My next step will be to try an extended WOT run with the oil cooler now replumbed to be counter flow instead of parrallel flow. Any good thoughts towards reducing max oil temperature during extended WOT running will also be tried.

Last edited by Rage; 04-11-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thought is to remove the thermstat and do a WOT extended run. The thermostat is really a flow restrictor to build and then control the oil temp at a set level. This way you will know if your cooler is capabile of controlling the temp that your combination is creating. If you still build too much oil temp, you will now know the engine and or cooling system is creating too much heat for this size cooler. At least you will eliminate a varible and you can be more focused on the potential causes. This is also a low cost test
Old 04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Cool
Quote from you: "...My 496HO is heavily modified though still naturaly aspirated. An important fact seems to be that it is closed cooling as apposed to open cooling (straight sea water) so things are not as cool. ..."

Rage: This is important. If you're getting air in your incoming water (of course you are), every air molecule in essence does NOT transfer heat (well not much). This can substantially reduce the efficiency of the cooler. You might just need a bigger one to compensate for the lack of efficiency. You're sealing off the cooler early on so it's not engine temperature. As fast as you're running, I don't know how you'll keep the air out. Maybe you'll need to up size?

Did it ever work at any point in time?

If not, I'm more leaning this way now. I think the logical reason you're increasing in temp over time is that the cooling system (flow, hardware, etc) can't compensate for the engine's heat rejection. Consider the other things I wrote (not the cleaning yet) and post the results.

Russ
When I upgraded to the current ~600hp level I still had the stock 425hp oil cooler and no oil temperature gage. During WOT runs to document AFR for ECU recal I noticed oil pressure really dropping. An oil temp gage and the Hardin oil cooler was then added but I retained the stock oil lines & fittings the latter being a bad idea. This was my first look at the actual oil temperature numbers coming out of the engine at WOT. It got hot quick but the oil pressure did not drop near as much as before so it must have been REALLY HOT back then probably 300F+. The following winter I replaced all the stock oil lines and fittings with AN-10. Three of the stock invereted flare oil line fittings were 3/8" ID. The max oil pressure increased significantly with those restrictions removed and it did seem to take a little longer at WOT before the oil temperature got to my personal max limit of 270F out of the engine to shut it down.

My Bravo drive has the low water pick up as stock along with the side pick ups. I plugged the side pickup holes that run above the water at WOT full trim to minimize water pressure loss or air induction or at least that was my hope. It was suggested that drilling the low water pick up inlet holes larger would increase flow which I did as well. Since the sea water pressure readout that the PCM555 ECU presents has a max scale limit of 43 psi wghich I was already running at I do not know how much this improved sea water flow/pressure.

To make sure that I was getting adequate sea water flow through the HE, and not just a high pressure do to some restriction, I temporarily added a 5/8" sea water dump line just down stream of the HE. The max sea water pressure at WOT dropped from 43 psi fdull scale to about 38 psi so the flow through the HE had to have increased but the WOT run time before oil heat up did not change noticably. So the water flow rate was probably fine before adding the dump line.

Last edited by Rage; 04-11-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
Rage are you running a stock oil pan? If so what oil level are you running? Innovation found windage issues back in 2002 and made some mods.
Thanks
Steve
Steve, Yes the oil pan is totally stock and running 10 qts per 496HO specs. I did try running a quart low at WOT because Innovation said that that was good for reducing max saturated engine oil temperature during the race and adding a few hp at least on the dyno. I really did not notice any improvement in the oil heat up problem running a quart low. What size oil coolers did you run if you recall? Of course your hp would have been some what less I assume. Do you think that was the windage issue fix you mention? The parts list I got from Innovation to convert my engine to an HP3 did not include any crank case parts except for the HV oil pump. If I am being dense and missing out on something else here please let me know.

Last edited by Rage; 04-10-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
would sea strainers help,,,if not the reg size,,, the larger ones , iam wondering if the larger volum would help reduce the air in the water problem you mr.cooler,,,talks about,,
I run on a pristine highland reservoir so no normal need for a sea strainer. Mr Cool what do you think about a sea strainer reducing areation of sea water to the HE?

Last edited by Rage; 04-11-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
My thought is to remove the thermstat and do a WOT extended run. The thermostat is really a flow restrictor to build and then control the oil temp at a set level. This way you will know if your cooler is capabile of controlling the temp that your combination is creating. If you still build too much oil temp, you will now know the engine and or cooling system is creating too much heat for this size cooler. At least you will eliminate a varible and you can be more focused on the potential causes. This is also a low cost test
BenPerfected I like low cost tests and its a good thought.

Unfortunatelly this oil cooler thermostat does not restrict oil flow through the cooling section to raise oil temperature to the set temp but instead this thermostat stays open allowing some (not all) of the oil to bypass the cooling section until the set temperature is reached and then it closes off the bypass so 100% of the oil now has to flow through the cooling section.

Last edited by Rage; 04-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rage
BenPerfected I like low cost tests and its a good thought.

Unfortunatelly this oil cooler thermostat does not restrict oil flow through the cooling section to raise oil temperature to the set temp but instead this thermostat stays open allowing some (not all) of the oil to bypass the cooling section until the set temperature is reached and then it closes off the bypass so 100% of the oil now has to flow through the cooling section.
I did not know about this cooler design. Besides trying a larger cooler (would you be able to borrow one?) maybe use an infrared temp gun and see what engine parts or accessories are excessively hot after you make a run. These guns should be pretty easy to borrow.
We once had a engine temp issue (Stb 20 degrees hotter) and it turned out to a blocked internal water passage in a Mercury thermostat housing....the really strange looking one in the 80's. You could not see it and the we finally isolated it by Stb/Port parts swapping. As you might imagine, we tried lots of things before we finally swapped these parts...took two years!...hope you can beat that!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I did not know about this cooler design. Besides trying a larger cooler (would you be able to borrow one?) maybe use an infrared temp gun and see what engine parts or accessories are excessively hot after you make a run. These guns should be pretty easy to borrow.
We once had a engine temp issue (Stb 20 degrees hotter) and it turned out to a blocked internal water passage in a Mercury thermostat housing....the really strange looking one in the 80's. You could not see it and the we finally isolated it by Stb/Port parts swapping. As you might imagine, we tried lots of things before we finally swapped these parts...took two years!...hope you can beat that!
In my effort to ID my oil temp problem I have acquired a lot of stuff including an infared temp gun and two quick tip thermo couple temperature devices. Just tell me what to check and I will be on it.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would aim the temp gun at everything that has water in it. Intake, exhaust, heads, various points on the block, etc. Assuming you have twins, measuring back and forth between engines might show a variance. If you run a single, try comparing side to side.
We actually had a second high temp issue back when we had Gil manifolds. I big flap/piece of powder coating delaminated inside the manifold and was restricting the flow at the fitting where the 1" hose jumped to the tail pipe. As it didn't totally stop the flow, it was difficult to detect. This also took a long time to figure out. Both these restrictions caused the water temp to rise. We didn't have water pressure gauges at the time.
Do you measure your water pressure?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered

I am sticking with windage.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.