Notices

CMI's

Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Gee...why do I have 13 headers in my shop right now???
pressure test....weld repair..sometimes..back to the owners....
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone post a photo of where the problem is. I've got cmi/525 and have not had any issues. I would like to know where and what to look for.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raytart
Can someone post a photo of where the problem is. I've got cmi/525 and have not had any issues. I would like to know where and what to look for.
Chances are yours will start at the collector plate..where the 4 internal tubes are welded internally at the collector end...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it seem to matter if the installation is single engine, side by side twins, staggered, or does it not discriminate?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The older CMI E-tops also didn't have the patented Cool Collar feature where the tubes meet the head flange. The CC added additional longevity to CMI's already better than average life cycle.
The Mercury (by CMI) exhaust failures are not the same design as the headers that CMI markets to the rest of the marine industry.
Most give Mercury's spec's/design full credit for the mass of exhaust failures. Much of the stress was created for boat owners when the Mercury exhaust failed after the warranty expired.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good info here. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...er-issues.html
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Which CMI headers???

Some OSO'ers and others are getting this problem overstated because they are not paying attention to the actual type of CMI headers that apparently have the problem.

The CMI E-tops and other Big Tube CMI headers are not having any appreciable problems with leaking or failure that I have heard or seen.

The problem headers appear to be the ones that Merc has CMI make to their spec for the HP525efi, the SCi600's and SCi700's only. These headers are supposedly made with Merc spec'd stainless and special design that only these Merc Racing engines have particular to their hjeaders.
This must be a real problem because CMI has released the new Generation X series replacement headers for these engines and is advertising them in this months Powerboat magazine.
This is really great for Merc Racing engine owners, pay a hefty price for new Merc Racing engines that are based on a $7500 header and then have to buy a whole new set of GenX headers from CMI at $5000 each plus tips. Look at and read the adds yourself and see what you read between the lines??

Geez, that's a slick out for Merc and CMI and a Big Stab to customers who bought these engines!! Heck, Merc could never screw up and make a mistake could they! Why they are Mercury Marine and as such that is impossible, right??
And if they wait long enough most of the problem engines will be out of warranty, right?? Go figure? The 800 lb black and blue gorilla is at it again?

I have also had and expierenced some customers with some leaking Sporttube headers on the 496's, but not a sizable quantity and breadth of the problem the HP525efi, SCi600, or SCi700 owners have apparently been up against.

Just some clarification, let's try and keep the information straight on this problem.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Ray, the problem is definitely more prone to the 525/600/700 designed headers of recent years.

Also, the older 500 efi's had some issues when CMI was making merc. spec e-tops for those engines.... The stainless tubing was not as heavy as the standard e-tops the regular consumer would buy.... Just tap it with a socket wrench and you could hear how "tiny" they were... I actually dented one once...

Sorry to say it but I've seen them all leak at some point, and that's not brand specific. it's just somehting you need to keep up on.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
The older CMI E-tops also didn't have the patented Cool Collar feature where the tubes meet the head flange. The CC added additional longevity to CMI's already better than average life cycle.
The Mercury (by CMI) exhaust failures are not the same design as the headers that CMI markets to the rest of the marine industry.
Most give Mercury's spec's/design full credit for the mass of exhaust failures. Much of the stress was created for boat owners when the Mercury exhaust failed after the warranty expired.
agree 100%