stereo electrical noise >

stereo electrical noise

Notices

stereo electrical noise

Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo electrical noise

I have electrical noise coming thru speakers. Need some help. A run down of what happened... Last year I repowered in spring and all was good. Had to pull engine late last year for some noise. This was a rush job to make a weekend boat trip.

All was good but the orange wire was left off starter. I didnt realize this until gauge drop to 10 volts. Got back to docks and reattched wire. Ever since I've had terrible noise thru speakers.

I've checked all grounds. Replaced alternator, still there. Removed alternator, still there. Does this when I run anything electrical even with engine off. Hatch, trim tabs, drive trim, doesn't matter. all come thru speakers. Speakers run off an amp, not radio. Could it be radio or amp. What could've gotten fried by not having orange wire connected. Or is a ground issue I'm not seeing. Any thoughts. I'm missing something. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh1209
I have electrical noise coming thru speakers. Need some help. A run down of what happened... Last year I repowered in spring and all was good. Had to pull engine late last year for some noise. This was a rush job to make a weekend boat trip.

All was good but the orange wire was left off starter. I didnt realize this until gauge drop to 10 volts. Got back to docks and reattched wire. Ever since I've had terrible noise thru speakers.

I've checked all grounds. Replaced alternator, still there. Removed alternator, still there. Does this when I run anything electrical even with engine off. Hatch, trim tabs, drive trim, doesn't matter. all come thru speakers. Speakers run off an amp, not radio. Could it be radio or amp. What could've gotten fried by not having orange wire connected. Or is a ground issue I'm not seeing. Any thoughts. I'm missing something. Thanks.

Sounds like a ground issue. Are you running amplifiers or just using the power from your headunit. If running aftermarket AMPS, I would suggest grounding them straight to the Block. Make sure it is a good bare metal surface, scrap any paint or rust away.

In my Baja I had "noise" when I operated my trim tabs. A new ground to the block solved it.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Running amp. Right now it is grounded directly to battery. I grounded directly to block, made no difference. All my grounds are at the same 2 connection points. Studs on engine bell housing.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered

Another thing is that the only electrical connections disconnected to remove engine were main plug and grounds. I always thought that RF noise came from a single item like alternator, bad trim pump motor, etc. Don't understand why I'm getting noise from all electrical components.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered

Now I've removed every ground except battery to block and factory wire harness to block. Both have good grounds. with ignition off, radio on, still get noise. Also music cuts out for about 5 seconds. Then when comes back on has music and noise if pump motor or hatch lift running. Radio itself does not cut off. just what comes out speakers Disconnected amp and connected speakers directly to radio. no difference.

Does anybody have any ideas??
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered

where is the deck itself grounded?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take a spare battery and connect power and grounds from the deck and the amps to the new battery. This takes the complete boat wiring out of the equation. If you still have noise then I would guess something with the deck. Something else to try is hook up a speaker to the speaker outs on the deck and see if you have any noise. Do you have high end RCA cables with the seperate ground shield? If so where do you have those connected?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

check grounds,,are the amp power and ground going straigh to the battery from the amp? if so then you may have hurt the amp..
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

So what i found is if I ground head unit directly to block eliminating boat harness. Noise still there. If I add a ground wire from head unit chassis straight to block noise goes away completely. Still shuts off momentarily when running trim or hatch. Something must have happened to head unit. It isn't even a year old never would've thought it was the culprit.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Ill bet what is happening is that you fried that ground wire coming from the deck internally. It probably burnt one of the traces on the circuit board. What is probably happening is that the deck is now grounding through the shield ground on the rca cables to the amplifier. Then the deck is getting its ground from the amp creating the noise. So you are creating what is called a "ground loop" . You may be able to take the top cover off the deck and see the burnt trace. I would try a different deck or ground it from the chassis like you just did. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.