Gas in the Exhuast >

Gas in the Exhuast

Notices

Gas in the Exhuast

Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in the Exhuast

I have 7.4 Gen IV Mercuisers run prefect one is a little harder to start than the other but over all are good. They both have good compresson in each cylinder, had both carb rebuilt, change fuel filters, spark plug wires and plugs but they both still have gas in exhuast. The boat came from FL and we had no fuel in the exhuast on the test drive. Brought the boat to Texas and had no fuel in the exhuast when we put it into the water. Filled up at the gas station on the lake and that when the problem seem to start as well as that when the genset went to **** and have had to rebuild the carb on it. One engine is worse than the other. I am not sure what else could be the problem. Has any one else had any problems like this or any other ideas as to what to check/change.

Do these engines have fuel coolers? When would they be at?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by scott.breaux
I have 7.4 Gen IV Mercuisers run prefect one is a little harder to start than the other but over all are good. They both have good compresson in each cylinder, had both carb rebuilt, change fuel filters, spark plug wires and plugs but they both still have gas in exhuast. The boat came from FL and we had no fuel in the exhuast on the test drive. Brought the boat to Texas and had no fuel in the exhuast when we put it into the water. Filled up at the gas station on the lake and that when the problem seem to start as well as that when the genset went to **** and have had to rebuild the carb on it. One engine is worse than the other. I am not sure what else could be the problem. Has any one else had any problems like this or any other ideas as to what to check/change.

Do these engines have fuel coolers? When would they be at?
check your fuel pump's,theirs a line coming from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor, if your fuel pump's diaphragm is leaking it will dump fuel in the flame arrestor and will cause a rich condition..
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the floats are set too high and fuel is leaking into the bores once in the water. With the boat in the water and engine running and flame arrestor removed, look down the carbs. There should be no visible fuel dripping.