Merc 575/500 wiring harness problem

Notices

Merc 575/500 wiring harness problem

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merc 575/500 wiring harness problem

Hi Guys,
Have any of you run into this on a 575 or 500EFI? Looks like a very similar engine harness. My motor is blowing the 10 amp fuel pump fuse (located above the ecu, next to the service connector)when I go to ignition on. It has a dead to ground short. The motor will crank, and everything else on the boat works.
Never had this problem before. We did have the motor out for a new coupler. I have looked for pinched wires, loose wires, etc, nothing. Fuel pump does run when bypassed. Tried a new relay, no difference.
It (the short) appears to be somewhere in the engine harness. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-07-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was OK prior to removal then you have one of two things going on. Pinched or broken wire or possibly a wire that you accidently misswired when you put things together. I would fallow that single wire to its source and see what is up. Multi Meter will be invaluable in this case.

Jon