Merc Cool fuel >

Merc Cool fuel

Notices

Merc Cool fuel

Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc Cool fuel

I procharged my 502 efi. Part of the install is replacing the stock fuel pump with an adapter from procharger. This adapter plugs into the fuel cooler using the stock elbow and the stock o-rings.

Pretty crappy design in my opinion....

but anyhow - i'm getting some fuel leaks at the elbow - is there an aftermarket option to use fittings in stead of this elbow with o-rings?

thanks!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Where is Procharger when you need them?? did you purchase the unit new or used ? call them to complain --- they should be able to help you.. Whatever you do don't drive that boat until you get it fixed right!!---Floating Bomb ...You can always switch to stainless braided hose and fittings and then you know for sure you got it right. Don't do any thing Half-Fast....

Jim
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered

I'm actually on hold with them -- I'm assuming the most they would do is replace the "dummy fuel pump adapter". Which i think is a bad design. I was hoping there were other options.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Registered

ok -- I did talk to pro-charger and for now their suggestion was to use a sealer on it - while they check their engineering design.......
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

Chaos:

I'm curious, what year is your engine? I have a Procharged 1998 454 mag MPI and I'm doing research on the fuel system (regulators) set-up. What function does the Procharger supplied adapter serve at your cool fuel system? Does this adapter take the factory fuel regulators out of the system so the new boost referenced regulator is the only active regulator in the system? Thanks for your response.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Throw all that shiet in the trash, make braided hoses with an threaded adapters,replace the fuel cooler with a small engine oil cooler and be done with it,thats what I did years ago on my procharged mpi set-up,smitty
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low buck
Chaos:

I'm curious, what year is your engine? I have a Procharged 1998 454 mag MPI and I'm doing research on the fuel system (regulators) set-up. What function does the Procharger supplied adapter serve at your cool fuel system? Does this adapter take the factory fuel regulators out of the system so the new boost referenced regulator is the only active regulator in the system? Thanks for your response.
Mine's a 99 - the only function it serves is as an adapter so that you can use the stock fuel cooler. I also installed a new fuel regulator so you can adjust the fuel pressure.

and yes - i've removed the adapter and am getting rid of that piece - its the weak link in the system for sure!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAOS REIGNS

and yes - i've removed the adapter and am getting rid of that piece - its the weak link in the system for sure!
You're better off to get rid of ALL the Procharger fuel system components & build your own fuel management system the correct way.
DO NOT rely on their fuel controller to keep your engine alive!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Question

Chaos:

Not to hijack your thread, but I'd like to use this opportunity to gain some insight on developing (optimizing) procharger fuel control by use of flow regulators only. For sake of "reversibility" I don't want to reprogram the ecu in case the procharger ever comes off.

As you'll see I have only a few post on OSO. I have been waiting to learn the basics before aggravating folks with silly redundant questions.

Smitty, thank you for the time and willingness you have shown others who have needed help. I've been searching this site for months and have bookmarked several of your posts.
I believe your design of tandem regulators offers very good resolution and repeatability. I intend to follow that design.

I bought a 5# procharged 1998 454 MAG MPI (stock) boat in January and have only seen it twice. At this time I am unsure of the status of the fuel system (lack of time under hatch) I will see the boat this weekend and will diagram the fuel system. I can say for certain it has the Aeromotive A1000 pump and a red base/ Black top aeromotive boost reference regulator.

My most immediate problem is the fuel pressure sticks at 80 psi (idle or WOT) on the Gaffrig 0-80# dash mounted electric gage. The fuel pressure transducer is mounted in the Aeromotive regulator body. The needle does drop with key off. It is certainly running rich and bogs at low end. Spark plugs are black.

Prior to buying the boat the owner had the same problem and took the boat to Dereberry at lake Texoma. Dereberry apparently took apart the cool fuel system, cleaned and reinstalled it, and (I'm happy to say) eliminated the closed fuel return loop by routing the fuel return to the (2) fuel tanks via a manual selector switch. To obtain more accurate data I intend to install additional mechanical fuel pressure gages at strategic points in the system, along with a close resolution boost gage so I can best tune the tandem regulator system. Much preliminary work to be done on my end ...

OK, so here's where I return Chaos' thread;
(Assume that by returning the bypased fuel back to the fuel tanks enough cooling capacity is generated to prevent vapor lock)

Q: Using the Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and the tandem regulator system can I shiet can (bypass) the cool fuel system?
I don't understand how the factory fuel pump at the cool fuel system, and the small factory regulators at the cool fuel heat exchanger and fuel rail come into play in my present system, or other procharger "bolt-on" applications.

Q: If the Cool fuel system, factory fuel pump & regulators are eliminated, would't smitty's base pressure regulator serve the same purpose in place of the small factory regulators?

Q: Would the flow of this basic fuel system concept work? A1000 pump ---> water seperator /filter ----> fuel rails -----> Base pressure regulator -------> Boost reference regulator ----> Fuel tank selector switch -----> Fuel tank.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and hope Chaos will benefit from the shared knowledge.

Thanks!

Last edited by low buck; 04-19-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Throw all that shiet in the trash.....
HAAA.....laughed my butt off when I saw your response Smitty! You always have a way with words...too funny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.