exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what >

exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what

Notices

exhaust for 741 cam shaft whos running what

Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Here is the deal i never had a problem till last year when i redone all heads and put in the 741 cams, first i noticed alot of milky chit in the breather hoses and inside the oil fill caps. after tear down this spring i had some milky in the oil both motors, also had indication around tops of pistons and cylinders not all just a few, and valve seats # 3 on 1 motor had to be re ground some to seat as it was leaking down 60% and appeared to have indication of water on just 1 motor.as well as rust around the chambers of 2 exhaust port on same motor. When looking up into my gill tails with a light i dont see any thing but black exhaust no sighn of trails of clean spots. But both motors having the milky stuff in upper valv covers and some in the oil make me belive it is reversion what else on both motors if it was just 1 id think maybe something else. one thing is my oil temp on both motors never goes above 190 no matter how hard i run, and my pcv system has been pluged of since i got the boat from joe.
I ran a 741 with gils and no reversion. They way I check reversion was to idle engines at low 600rpm, shut down, remove riser and then use a majic finger with a but of paper towel to swab down the manifold. If the towel gets wet you have reversion, if not its coming from somewhere else.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the 741 with lightning headers. They mix the water in a little bit after the turn and no problems.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a slight leak such as intake gaskets, corrosion around ports or such? Say a leak small enough to allow traces of water in where most of it can burn off, yet leave enough behind? If I recall, this is a salt water boat, just considering it might be something other than the cam profile/exhaust since you see now water tracks in the risors, not that isn't a possibilty I suppose. What are you using for water supply, crossover w/ t-stat or stock water pump and stat housing? What are your engine temps like?

Good luck!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Are you sure you don't have a slight leak such as intake gaskets, corrosion around ports or such? Say a leak small enough to allow traces of water in where most of it can burn off, yet leave enough behind? If I recall, this is a salt water boat, just considering it might be something other than the cam profile/exhaust since you see now water tracks in the risors, not that isn't a possibilty I suppose. What are you using for water supply, crossover w/ t-stat or stock water pump and stat housing? What are your engine temps like?

Good luck!
was using stock circ pumps, water temp both engines normal around 165, both had new intake gaskets and head gaskets last winter as well, it is a fresh water boat for past 6 years, and was mostly fresh since new. Could it all be condensation because my oil temps never get over 190 and not hot enough to burn it off. Puzzels me because it is both motors and not just 1 or i would think also another problem. at this point im going to put it back in with different exhaust and evaluate from there. Thanks Guys
Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

something else to do to modify your pipes...I'm looking at the pic which looks to be just a round hole where the water exits..the water will catch the outer lip and may cause the water to spray and puddle back..if you can get in their and notch the outer lip so the water has a free entry and wont cause a mist..

send me your email and ill send you a pic of a imco ss riser so you can get a better idea on what I'm talking about..

[email protected]..

Fixx
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Could it all be condensation because my oil temps never get over 190 and not hot enough to burn it off. Thanks Guys
My oil temps run around 150f and I never have creamed cheese breathers. What I did when I use to have a lot of reversion problems was I went to autozone and bought various length of exhaust pipe. I started with the longest lengths, about 4' long, shoved them up the tailpipes to seperate the water from the exhaust gas. The reversion was gone with that length. Then I kept shortening the inserts until I could just start to see the water wanting to revert while running. Then I made permanent inserts of that length to bandaid the problem. Eventually (winter) I went ahead and degreed my cam in properly to elimate all reversion inserts or not.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
My oil temps run around 150f and I never have creamed cheese breathers. What I did when I use to have a lot of reversion problems was I went to autozone and bought various length of exhaust pipe. I started with the longest lengths, about 4' long, shoved them up the tailpipes to seperate the water from the exhaust gas. The reversion was gone with that length. Then I kept shortening the inserts until I could just start to see the water wanting to revert while running. Then I made permanent inserts of that length to bandaid the problem. Eventually (winter) I went ahead and degreed my cam in properly to elimate all reversion inserts or not.
So you think mine degreed in at 111 might be a problem, the 741 cam is a 114. Interesting idea with the pipes though.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

The lobe seperation is 114. That is ground in to the cam and is different than the Intake centerline. When installing a cam you need to use a degree wheel to get the cam properly indexed to the crank shaft. I don't know what the ICL recommended is for the 741. My cams are the 731 and the recommended ICL is 107. If the 741 is the same, you are 4* retarded at 111 and that would cause possible reversion. The exhaust valve is staying open longer while the piston is travelling south, therefore it sucks water. Pretty simple really. So find out what the 741 ICL is and go from there. When mine was reverting due to cam indexing it was 3* retared if memory serves me correct. The other engine did not revert and the ICL was right on.

I would try the dry inserts to eliminate all other possiblities like leaking riser because it is by far easiest.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
The lobe seperation is 114. That is ground in to the cam and is different than the Intake centerline. When installing a cam you need to use a degree wheel to get the cam properly indexed to the crank shaft. I don't know what the ICL recommended is for the 741. My cams are the 731 and the recommended ICL is 107. If the 741 is the same, you are 4* retarded at 111 and that would cause possible reversion. The exhaust valve is staying open longer while the piston is travelling south, therefore it sucks water. Pretty simple really. So find out what the 741 ICL is and go from there. When mine was reverting due to cam indexing it was 3* retared if memory serves me correct. The other engine did not revert and the ICL was right on.

I would try the dry inserts to eliminate all other possiblities like leaking riser because it is by far easiest.
I happened to have the cam card for the 741 (139021) only 2 feet from me on the living room table and the recommended ICL=107* ATDC, ECL=117 BTDC
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

The 139021 and the 139741 are two different cams. I am pretty sure the 741 has two degrease more than the 139021. They are both on 112 lobe centers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.