gen VI felpro oil pan gasket issue >

gen VI felpro oil pan gasket issue

Notices

gen VI felpro oil pan gasket issue

Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gen VI felpro oil pan gasket issue

just putting my gen VI 502 back together, have the correct by their listing felpro 17986 one piece oil pan gasket, everything lines up fine, except the front part does not match the oil pan at all !!! it has a rounded rubber face facing toward the pan, the pan has a rounded lip nothing to hold the seal from slipping either in or out. the rear has peices to keep centered on the pan lip, the old one had a groove to sit over the pan, seems they mis made this thing..anybody else run into this ? Rob
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smear some Ultra Gray on there and be done with it
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,
I have done a few Gen VI engines without any issues like you described. I am trying to visualize what you have there, but cant. Can you post a picture?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

well talked to felpro tech today, this is a GM gasket(they buy from them) and is correct, checked a GM one today the same way...he says that will work...sure does not look right to me, basicly looks like you are putting to male parts together to mate...wait...thats gay...sorry will try this eve and see how it goes..thanks Rob, PS by the way if anybody needs these gaskets buy the felpro OS34407R it's the same damn gasket at the high pref 17986 but 21.95 vs 50.00 !!!! just in a diff box !!!! talking about getting railed !!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

ez,
How does the new gasket compare to the original one ? I have a GEN 6 gasket set at the shop I can look at in the AM if you want. I have done several Gen6's and dont remember anything unusual. Like Vinny said, a pic would be priceless.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Registered

Ok, gasket was fine...my mistake...did not put gasket on block(timing cover has deep groove to keep in place) was just looking at the mating surfaces...worked fine..but what I learned about marketing !!!!! hope saves some some $$$ thanks Rob
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
PS by the way if anybody needs these gaskets buy the felpro OS34407R it's the same damn gasket at the high pref 17986 but 21.95 vs 50.00 !!!! just in a diff box !!!! talking about getting railed !!!!!!
EZ,
That is not a very fair comparison. The OS34407R is just the oil pan gasket. The 17986 is not a "performance" gasket, it is a marine "conversion" set which includes all of the gaskets that do not come in the head set. It has the oil pan gasket, but it also has the one pc rear main seal, the rubber timing cover gasket, water pump gaskets, oil pan plug gasket, oil filter/cooler mount gasket and front seal.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered

not the one I just got, boxed with oil pan gasket only and the felpro tech told me the deal on them buying them and just repackaging to whatever market they are targeting...and I did compair to a GM gasket..same exact one and stamping #, and the 17986 is listed as their high performance/marine gasket...but is no difference
Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
EZ,
That is not a very fair comparison. The OS34407R is just the oil pan gasket. The 17986 is not a "performance" gasket, it is a marine "conversion" set which includes all of the gaskets that do not come in the head set. It has the oil pan gasket, but it also has the one pc rear main seal, the rubber timing cover gasket, water pump gaskets, oil pan plug gasket, oil filter/cooler mount gasket and front seal.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
That conversion set is a 17146. 17986 is just a pan gasket. I always just use an OS34407R
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

as we all should now..what a ripoff !!!! hell even the GM gasket was cheaper !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.