Best mpg rpm non-mag 454? >

Best mpg rpm non-mag 454?

Notices

Best mpg rpm non-mag 454?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mpg rpm non-mag 454?

Running an 89 22' Formula 454 non mag bravo I. I'm running a mirage 23p and getting exactly 4600rpm at 59mph on gps, yea! What "cruising" rpm will I maximize my fuel mileage with that motor?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 AM
sandman
Gold Member

I still consider myself a rookie as far as these types of boats go, but Ill try and answer.

The only answer is to install a fuel consumption gauge.

Due to all the variables such as boat weight, load, drive type, x dimension, hull type, engine condition, wind speed and direction, water conditions, air temp, humidity....blah blah blah... I dont think anyone can really answer your question other than it will be somewhere between idle and wot.

Like I said, there are people on here with WAY more experience than I and may have a better answer. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Anyway, have a fun, safe summer and enjoy your boat.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Registered

Yeah I was wondering if that wasn't the case. Well if it helps the factory says the boat weighs approximately 3750 lbs has an 8' beam and 22 degrees deadrise. Maybe there's someone out there with a similar hull, motor, and flowmeter that can get me in the ballpark.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually, best cruise is between 3000-3200 rpm, what you can do is with the engine off, pull the spark arrestor and give it throttle until the secondaries just start to open, note the possition of the control, that should be your cruise setting or close to it.