mild upgrades to a 502efi for more speed >

mild upgrades to a 502efi for more speed

Notices

mild upgrades to a 502efi for more speed

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mild upgrades to a 502efi for more speed

What is a good upgrade that will get me some more horse and hopefully a few more mph. Computer tweak? K&N air filter? I dont want to do anything drastic because i like the stock setup even with the corsa silent choice. If i could find a cheap used procharger for it i would throw that on and leave everything else stock. What all is involved with a procharger? Different plugs? can i keep everything else stock? Does it hurt your engine longetivity? I have 600 hrs on the engine so i dont really want to put too much stress on it. Any advise???
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

speed is a function of the cube of the power... you need a lot more power to go just a little bit faster. on my boat to go just 5 mph faster was going to require ( according to the math) about 125 more hp PER side. go find a speed calculator online. punch in your max speed numbers and power and go from there. they are a good approximation of the total drag profile which is the determinant of how much power your boat needs.

as for the 502's the aircleaner and bolt on stuff is all essentially BS and will buy you nothing. you need at least another 100 hp to see any significant performance change and that is going to be a good set of exhaust along with a small bump in the compression ratio and a little bit more cam.

1 hp per inch isn't hard to come by but within the marine environment you can't just overcam the motors so its a bit more subtle. if you were willing to spend the money, ill bet a 540 kit would buy you exactly what you want.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
sac
Registered

I have a vortech supercharger for sale,1 day of use,makes 800 hp,its for a 500efi
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
You say you do not want to do anything drastic and in the next sentence you want to get a pro charger. Not sure what you read about pro chargers but I can tell you that if you bolt a pro charger on a engine with 600 hours on it you will soon be looking for a new engine. This would be a good time to pull the engine and rebuild it while it is still all in one piece.
+1
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

No little bolt on upgrades will do anything for performance. Your entire should be rebuilt before you even consider putting a procharger on it.
Best bang for the buck is to have your props lab finished.